Rycotewood Proposals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
woodbutcher":nhtsl4rd said:
hi rob,
would it be alright if i put my name down provisionally ,after 40years or so with playing with wood professionally i might have enough experience to lend a hand.

(richard) aka.

woodbutcher.

Richard - welcome to the 'team'

This from Ian this morning:

Well this is more hand tools than power tools however we are awaiting a response from Festool.
On the bench we were really all running hand tools other than Tormek Leigh and Festool who will be away from the bench work.
I think if we can avoid machinery that would be ideal.

We will write a risk assessment for all activity and will be covering ourselves with our all risks insurance policy which will include your team
.”

In answer to the question regarding power tools, the recommendation is hand tools only - now we are 7...and I'm second in from the left! :lol: - Rob

If folk don't mind I'm going to bump this one from time to time to keep it topical.
We're up to seven at the moment, I estimate that we'll need about a dozen members over the course of the weekend...anyone else up for it? - Rob

I could possibly be interested in a half-day or something, depending on what we're going to do... I reckon it would have to be a Saturday as I'm probably at college on the Friday. Wouldn't be able to confirm my interest until near the time, though.

OPJ":3k6yf7rg said:
depending on what we're going to do...
Olly - what we do is up to us...whatever you want to do. If you can offer something that's interesting or even help with other stuff going on, or just chat about woodie stuff to others at the event, that would be fine. The point is there's no hard and fast rule about what we're going to do as I think that it needs to be flexible - Rob

Okay, thanks, Rob. I'll give it some thought over the next couple of months. I'm not much of a conversationalist but, I'd be quite happy to make or demonstrate something! :)

OPJ":3gk2kdup said:
Okay, thanks, Rob. I'll give it some thought over the next couple of months. I'm not much of a conversationalist but, I'd be quite happy to make or demonstrate something! :)
Thanks Olly...8 now, hopefully - Rob

Rob can you put me down Provisionally for Saturday - I am in Toronto at the moment so cannot be too certain about dates.

Rod

I've had a couple of thoughts already one what I could do...

First one was a cabriole leg. But, without a bandsaw to remove the bulk of the waste, it might not be feasible (too much work for a coping saw!! :shock:). Instead, I'm now thinking maybe a knuckle joint or two?

If I get any other ideas, I'll keep them coming. :)

OPJ":2s9n2f86 said:
I've had a couple of thoughts already one what I could do...

First one was a cabriole leg. But, without a bandsaw to remove the bulk of the waste, it might not be feasible (too much work for a coping saw!! :shock:). Instead, I'm now thinking maybe a knuckle joint or two?

If I get any other ideas, I'll keep them coming. :)
Olly - works for me :D ...rough out the leg at home on the bs and do the final shaping at Rycotewood with 'shaves etc? Knucke joints sound interestiong- Rob

Rob

I would be happy to help out Sat, I'm no expert but would be happy to demo things about planes/shooting boards/sharpening/sawing/saw sharpening/some joint cutting. Perhaps could make a dovetailed box?

My only slight doubt is I've a feeling its the start of kids half term.

Jeremy

If you are really stuck I might be able to do friday - I'm really not up to demonstrating much though.

woodbloke":1g2kqmgy said:
9 now...how many though can man the bench on Friday?..could be problematical :-k - Rob

Rob, which OCVC campus is the location, cant see a Rycotewood on their webpage. If it is central Oxford then may be able to help out on the friday afternoon.

StarGazer

StarGazer":31mebsbw said:
woodbloke":31mebsbw said:
9 now...how many though can man the bench on Friday?..could be problematical :-k - Rob

Rob, which OCVC campus is the location, cant see a Rycotewood on their webpage. If it is central Oxford then may be able to help out on the friday afternoon.

StarGazer
SG - precise location unknown at the present time, no doubt Ian will update me closer to the event. All I know at present is that it's Rycotewood which is part of Oxford and Cherwell College I believe. I think Jim (Lurkerio) can do Friday as well...not sure who else at the moment 'til I have a trawl back through the thread. If you could sort something out for the Friday SG that would be fandabby- Rob

I stand to be corrected, but as I understand it, when Rycotewood merged with Oxford and Cherwell College of Further Education they moved their operations to the main Oxford site which in in Oxpens, about a 10 minute walk from the Town Centre or the Railway Station.

I offered Friday or Saturday, I can be available for Friday morning if that helps. As to location I checked the college website and I think it’s opposite the Ice rink in central Oxford. I’ll probably use the park & ride as parking in Oxford is a bit pricey.

Mike

Rob, two IF`s...
If I can arrange some owed holidays for said event, and if Rycotewood is situated in Oxford OCVC (town centre) I could do both days (Fri & Sat) all day, as its fairly local to me (20 miles) and travelling wouldnt cost me anything as my company have transport into Oxford every 30 mins..

Back