Rutlands Quangsheng

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

selly

Established Member
Reaction score
I see rutlands have got some quansheng's in at some heavily discounted prices. I presume they are the same quality quangy's as the last batch.

Tempted to put my record and stanley on ebay and get a block, no 5 and 4 quang from the sale.... :?

Selly I would recommend buying from Matthew.

The QS planes are good, but they do need tuning.
Ask Matthew to give you one that needs very little
tuning is what I suggest you to do.

Ali

A number 5 is £30 cheaper at Rutlands than at a few of the other suppliers of Quansheng, so well worth a punt.

ali27":3mfx286e said:

Ali

I don't think they need "tuning" at all. All they need is a normal honing and off you go. For the savings on offer there is no contest.

The question is why have Rutlands priced them so low when they have had such good write ups? Looks like poor marketing or desperation to me

Modernist":3w4s3dfo said:
ali27":3w4s3dfo said:

Ali

I don't think they need "tuning" at all. All they need is a normal honing and off you go. For the savings on offer there is no contest.

The question is why have Rutlands priced them so low when they have had such good write ups? Looks like poor marketing or desperation to me

-Levercap was not square
-The bed(?) on which the frog sits was slightly
higher on one side. This made the blade come closer
to the mouth on one side.

The sole was flat initially. Now the
sole is concave. Maybe not stress relieved.

Still I like this plane very much.

Ali

ali27":3gfiktwd said:
Modernist":3gfiktwd said:
ali27":3gfiktwd said:

Ali

I can only write from my own experience. Too soon to tell if it is going to warp, otherwise fine.

-Levercap was not square
-The bed(?) on which the frog sits was slightly
higher on one side. This made the blade come closer
to the mouth on one side.

The sole was flat initially. Now the
sole is concave. Maybe not stress relieved.

Still I like this plane very much.

Ali

I can only write from my own experience and it is too soon to be sure if they will warp

ali27":t75qzpc8 said:

Ali

If you don't ask then presumably you get one of the ones that need most fettling?

Looks like a good deal to me if they are as good as people say. I might just get a no.4 to try them out.

I'd imagine they are the same spec. Shame to brand them as Dakota though as that has baggage!

I've ordered a block plane and will see how I go. Seems like a good deal if people rate them as they do - a 4,5 and 6 for £200 @ 90% of lee valley/neilsen quality.

SBJ":2ylcwpix said:
ali27":2ylcwpix said:

Ali

If you don't ask then presumably you get one of the ones that need most fettling?

It also depends on how good you are at tuning a plane. Some
people seem to really tune every part of a plane whereas I guess
most people will be able to do some tuning.

Asking can´t hurt.

Ali

Is it a fact that these Dakota planes are the same as the ones from WH? I seem to remember Matthew saying they weren't? Or am I wrong? Hopefully Matthew can confirm.

Also, I think its a nonesense to suggest that you will get a plane that needs tuning if you don't ask for one that doesn't. I'm sure that each and every plane isn't inspected.

That said, my WH one was perfect and has required zero fettling out of the box and I didn't ask for it specifically.

ByronBlack":nloslury said:
Also, I think its a nonsense to suggest that you will get a plane that needs tuning if you don't ask for one that doesn't. I'm sure that each and every plane isn't inspected.

In a roundabout way, that was my point, i can't believe that there is that much difference between the quality of the planes - Dakota or WH.

Latest posts

Back