rusty chucks?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoatyboy

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds painful doesn't it!

Anyway I've blagged a lathe off the old lady next door it was her fathers and when he died apparently it was too heavy for the rellies to march off with so it stayed in the shed until I spotted it while feeding her cats when she was on holiday.

Actually what a spotted was a couple of 3 jaw chucks being used as weights to hold down the top of her water butt which led me to peek through the shed window.

The lathe is in a bit of a mess and needs tarting up - yes I'll do some wips - but the chucks were particularly bad having been in the rain for a few years (albeit in a leaky box). I've taken them apart and the insides seem ok so I'm hopeful I can rescue them. Having cleaned them out and degreased and gunked etc I'm wondering what best to grease up with?

I ask because there were lots of what looked like little brass flakes in the bottom of my parafin after the clean up - which I suspect might actually have been copper from copper grease?

So do I use copper grease (which i'll have to buy) motorbike chain lube (which i've got) some other heavy grease (which i'll have to buy), 3in1 (got), vaseline (got) anything else?

It's an Arundel E5 for those lathe geeks among you - which I think I'll have a lot of fun with.

cheers

I have read posts from other forum members advising against the use of 3 jaw engineering chucks for woodturning, so you may be wasting all that time & effort anyway !
Just a thought.

Dave

Dave's right on the three jaw chuck advice, don't throw as they have their uses, especially where steel mandrels are concerned, but a four jaw scroll chuck with a reasonable selection of jaw forms is the way to go for securely gripping wood.

Keep the Grease application to a minimum, fine wood dust mixing with grease can compact and be difficult to clean out of the nooks and crannies.

Light machine oil at worst, but you don't want any surplus to spin out onto your wood. Preferably use a DRY PTFE Lub or a buffed microcrystalline wax which will not attract as much dust.

Thanks Guys - most helpful as ever I shall give them a quick clean and wax (didn't think of that in my list of options) and put them in the "might be useful one day" cupboard - along with the other four tonnes of bits and bobs.

I shall then spend the time cleaning the lathe itself - many more questions then I'm sure!

huge regards - Pete

Back