Rustic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I need to start taking before and after shots, the lump of timber this hollow form / vase, or whatever, came from was not something for the fainthearted, 18" long, with a great black hole full of water and soil and whatever else found sucour in there surrounded by the remains of long gone branches, one of which had been sawn off years ago, the black wood still bearing the saw marks.

What to do with such a thing? I sawed off the other end to make a flat and square base and screwed the faceplate to it with 6 2.5" screws, about half the wood was punky, the rest sound, if spalted.

Roughing was a very slow process as the torque was very great, the old branches being hard like old knots, it took an age to render the thing cylindrical, but eventually I manged it and also turned down a tenon with sufficient material left for a bowl later too.

The shape was not something I planned, I just went with what leaving the natural edge and gaining something vaguely pleasing in form from the rest of it.

After hollowing, during which my primary aim was to maintain a constant wall thickness, which I almost managed, but it is a little thin at one point, I went over the outside with a single pass using a small spindle gouge to get a decent "off the tool" finish which is what it would be left with, no sanding at all, (definitely not inside, no way was introducing anything other than a hollowing tool to that shape, it looks scary enough stationary, spinning, it does not invite you to attempt any kind of abrasive treatment!) David Ellsworth might be able to handle it, but not me. :)

I then coated it with several coats of finishing oil and a single coat of hard wax, then buffed it a little to give it a nice patina.

I like it because it made something of a truly rotten piece of timber, which nontheless has some very redeeming features as regards grain and colour, if not so much from the form. It was also quite fun to do as it was completely unplanned.

Rustic+Vase-3.jpg

Rustic+Vase-2.jpg

Rustic+Vase-1.jpg

Rustic+Vase-4.jpg

My hat is off to yo0u on this one.

Not keen on the bulbous bit at the top but as you say the wood just had to dictate the shape. The only problem with so much missing is the out of balance effect and also if you don't get an even thickness it really shows.

As I said hat off to you

Wow that is stunning, that must've been hard work, kudos to you! Do you know the species?
I'm guessing beech or maybe sycamore?

Sorry WM, I meant to put that in, yes it is Spalted Beech. Thanks for the comments guys! :)

That is a nice looking piece Kim but........ it lacks something..... not sure what, perhaps something smooth and shiny stood inside ?

Brilliant rescue.

I think it is really lovely, Great the way you just followed the wood and let it speak for itself. I have been of turning for a while but hope to have some time to spare soon. I did manage a rush job to make a dibber out of a bit of green acacia to plant 100 leeks, It fell out of the lathe just before it was finished :)

I agree entirely. Lot of guts to mount that. Horribly out of balance, full of muck, woodlice and goodness knows what else, punky, large and heavy. The wood equivalent of one of Wallace's Wadkin resurrections :)

Very well done.

You trying to steal my thunder Kim, usually me that turns wood like this LOL. Must admit I'd be very happy if it was mine.

Pete

Bodrighy":tp6g1xzw said:
You trying to steal my thunder Kim, usually me that turns wood like this LOL. Must admit I'd be very happy if it was mine.

Pete

Well I can say for a certainty Pete, your work is what has encouraged me to try stuff like this, if I hadn't see the stuff you make I would likely not have considered it. I am more than pleased by your approval! :)

Many thanks to everyone who commented, it's always nice to get a little feedback.

Not sure why, but it reminds me in some way of Henry Moores 'ATOM HEAD' sculptures.
Very nice indeed.
I don't do turning as I haven't found the right second hand lathe yet, but when I do get one and have a go this is the kind of thing I'd love to be able to do.
It's like an artefact - the more I look at it the more I like it.

Pete

Back