Russian olive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisk

Established Member
Reaction score
Bowl in russian olive, got a bit last year and a ton of it this year. Nice to work with.C and c welcome. 7" by 3 3/4" no finish.

Attachments

• P1020129.JPG
    P1020129.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 920
  • P1020130.JPG
    P1020130.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 920
Not a timber I'm familiar with, but it looks attractive. I'd hazard a guess that it's neither truly Russian, nor true olive (but of course I could well be entirely wrong on both counts! ) Do you plan to give your piece a finish or will you leave it "au naturel"?
Regardless, nice work!

Ian

Hi well turned natural edge a satin finish should let the grain pop an would even look better. Russian olive ( Elaeagnus angustifoilia ) native to eastern Europe. Regards Roger C

It is an introduced species that thrives basically everywhere,it has been declared a noxious weed in Utah and New Mexico and as an invasive species in California, Nebraska,Wisconsin and Wyoming. I dont know why this tree was cut down, but it was free! It turns nicely and the blanks I had from last summer, of which this is one, are completely dry and nice to turn. A couple of my books say it grows to about 20' or so and one said 40' and i will believe that one. The logs i received this last time are from 10" to 18" in diam with a couple of nice crotches(can I say that on a Sunday morning?) and I will try to split them and reseal them this coming week. I also received about 20 burls from northern Vancouver Island from a visiting brother in law,red cedar, yellow cedar, and some fir and larch. I sealed them yesterday but turned a small bowl out of one bad checked yellow cedar burl for them to take home and to show what the wood is capable of. The shop smells great this am.

Latest posts

Back