Running extraction around the shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of learning woodwork and so am revamping the garage, and I am becoming obsessed with sucking up as much sawdust as possible from my machines!

Due to little space I don't have dedicated space for all the machines I have so far, so I was planning on running the sucky system around the top of the walls and down to somewhere near bench height in 2 or 3 workstation positions, and from there be able to connect smaller hose to whatever piece of kit I am using at the time (eg sander, jigsaw, mitre saw etc)

I have a workshop vac which is pretty sucky and has 100mm flexy pipe hanging out the back of it. Is it best to run as much as possible in the 100mm, stepping down to say a 40 or 50mm pipe to go to the machines? Does it matter where the blast gates sit between the main pipe and the machine? Can I use just 100mm waste pipe from the local shed or do I have to fork out on something even dearer from Axminster or similar?

Thanks.

For HVLP Extraction use 100mm (or 110mm soil pipe with converters) as far as you can, then reduce. The longer the run of pipe the more the suction is reduced, and with narrower the pipe the effect is even worse.

Pete, who's just taken out all his extraction prior to moving...

You can use the 100mm blast gates as converters from 110mm soil pipe to 100 flexi hose.
The stub on a 100mm blast gate fits inside 110mm pipe with a small gap that can be filled with foaming PU adhesive.
Gates are most effective mounted with the gate horizontal. Other positions cause the gate slides to jam over time and not close fully
Always close gates when the vacuum is running to help keep the dust out of the guides.

Bob

Back