running a screw backwards instead of predrilling?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheUnicorn

Established Member
Reaction score
stumbled across this technique on youtube, haven't tried it, I'll give it a go when I get the chance, just wondering if anyone does this?

Interesting never tried it but i would rather pre drill than take a 50-50 chance on it not splitting.

I agree, I'd rather predrill, especially on an edge, but this seemed like at a pinch it might be a functional bodge. I stumbled across it when watching a video by the first youtuber above building a firewood store, he did the whole thing, maybe 100 screws, just with the impact driver, and this technique of 'burnishing' the screw holes. Not convinced its a real alternative to predrilling, just seemed interesting. more succesful with a torx head than a pozi I imagine

By gad sir is nothing sacred I was always taught to pre drill nothing looks worse than the countersunk screw pulling the surrounding wood down then again I usually counter bore and plug if it's for the house old habits eh

I like turbo screws with the drill tip to the screw. Indeed I often have a few to use as drills before driving in cheaper screws.

Might be a quirkiness but I have always looked at the grain in wood and it's blemishes and treat it with respect it's probably been around longer than me and the smell of new wood we'll need I say more

Interesting but I would still feel more confident pre drilling. Will give it a go on some scrap bits though!

OK, so just for softwood(according to vid)
But screws like turbo gold or spax(and probably most others) have a built in bit that 'pre-drills' so pretty pointless i reckon.

Are you not predrilling the hole by using the screw in reverse?
got the impression that running it backwards built up friction and therefore heat, and then running it forwards burnt a path for the screw.

I'm still going to be grabbing my drill most of the time, but I think I'll give this ago, just for those times when you have an impact in your hand and your drill is somewhere else

are we not supposed to hammer screws? now you tell me.
Yes, you are. The slotted, Pozi, Philips, etc heads are for removing them when you've banged them into the wrong place. I assumed everybody knew that ffs. Slainte.

That's bonkers!
(And on the hammering note, a good whack or so to start off (if not drilling) works pretty well. No wandering pilot holes)

Back