Royal baby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm somewhat in the middle on the subject. I like Oliver and what he stood for. However I think our Royal family deliver a lot of good for the country. They are great for people to focus on for celebration and remembrance. A lot of service personnel are awarded medals etc from the royal family and I suspect they do more for tourism in this country that most other things. Sure the civil list could be reduced but I suspect they are probably quite good value.

That said I don't follow them about or wonder what the baby will be called etc.

Personally I think we should do what the french did 200 years ago, but my 7 year old daughter, Charlotte is chuffed to bits to share her name with a real princess.

Oliver Cromwell? You don't need to ban music dancing and Christmas and slaughter my forefathers to get rid of Royals, saying that banning Christmas mmmmmmaybe (although I'd miss the secret santa)
Paddy

Whilst this thread has been running, as an 'undecided', I've had a think before posting. I wonder if you could put a value on the tourist income that's generated purely by the RF? We would get tourists without them obviously, but I imagine many foreign visitors never stray outside London, & Buck House is a lot to do with that as a MUST see. If you could put a figure on it how close would it come to what they cost us?

Although the young Royals have done a spell in the services, their relatively short contribution to the country will be outweighed by the cost of their training. However, the young Royals generate far more publicity and thus tourism. (Thinking aloud).

Is ours the oldest running Royal family (omitting the Cromwell incident)? Surely the tradition and history has to be worth something as we continue to erode our individuality and standing in the world as a nation? Yes it gets on my nerves because it's shoved in our faces all the time, but you have a choice......you can choose to turn off, or worse still, watch the election build up instead!

Conclusion...keep 'em for old times sake.

We'd get even more tourists if we set up a guillotine in the old fashioned french way!

Jacob":1naqdmus said:
We'd get even more tourists if we set up a guillotine in the old fashioned french way!

But how do you sharpen a guillotine? Hollow ground, secondary bevel, rounded bevel, a huge guillotine honing guide, and should it be 01, A2, PM V11???

Hmm dunno. I guess it doesn't really matter if it's a bit blunt. Bellied even. :shock:

Definitely rounded bevel, concaved would be more likely to wedge in the neck where as the rounded bevel would open up the the cut as it proceeded so ensuring a good head roll, O1 would be the easiest to sharpen. :lol: :lol:

I don't think anybody is seriously suggesting we should chop their heads of Roger.
Should have been done in the 1790s anyway.
There are civilised ways of bringing them to book nowadays, such as the bedroom tax?

niagra":9au3zw4s said:
I will be hitting the report button in future, for any contentious posts, rather than commenting.

Don't bother. I hit the report button some months ago to object to something which Random Orbital Bob said and I thought probably contravened the rules of the forum. I am still awaiting for a response. Who moderates the moderators?

Back