• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Routing very small profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

johnbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologies in advance for any teaching of grandmothers, but here's a small project ( in every sense of the word) which worked well.

I needed to make a couple of contrast-enhancing bezels for a Tektronix oscilloscope. The "proper article" comprises a plastic frame with a thin smoked perspex "glass", like a miniature picture frame. Overall dimensions are about 87 x 76mm by 10.2mm deep. I ummed and ahrred about how the make such a delicate frame, and eventually decided to try bamboo, as I have a small stock of laminated bamboo flooring.

It was obvious that any attempt to rout a thin section of bamboo would result in complete failure (if not injury), so I machined the corner of a complete plank (c. 95 x 15mm section) "in-situ". First cut a square 2.5mm rebate, then used a 14 degree router cutter to machine a reverse-chamfer above the rebate. Then ran the entire plank through the circular saw to cut out the profile (10.2 x 3.5mm max)

here's the result:

Bamboo profile by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

And the finished bezel (super-glue mitre corners)

454 bezel (I) by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

454 bezel (III) by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

John

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Nice job, but lets have a look at the scope!

I have Kikusui 100meg and a Hameg recording scope.

Pete

custard

Established Member
Reaction score
John, share the secret, how did you persuade the wife to go with the Large Hadron Collider decor?

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, John

Nice! the most I ever managed was 4 scopes at one time.

One of mine in action.

Pete

Latest posts