Routing very small profiles

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnbs

Established Member
Reaction score
I apologies in advance for any teaching of grandmothers, but here's a small project ( in every sense of the word) which worked well.

I needed to make a couple of contrast-enhancing bezels for a Tektronix oscilloscope. The "proper article" comprises a plastic frame with a thin smoked perspex "glass", like a miniature picture frame. Overall dimensions are about 87 x 76mm by 10.2mm deep. I ummed and ahrred about how the make such a delicate frame, and eventually decided to try bamboo, as I have a small stock of laminated bamboo flooring.

It was obvious that any attempt to rout a thin section of bamboo would result in complete failure (if not injury), so I machined the corner of a complete plank (c. 95 x 15mm section) "in-situ". First cut a square 2.5mm rebate, then used a 14 degree router cutter to machine a reverse-chamfer above the rebate. Then ran the entire plank through the circular saw to cut out the profile (10.2 x 3.5mm max)

here's the result:

Bamboo profile by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

And the finished bezel (super-glue mitre corners)

454 bezel (I) by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

454 bezel (III) by Jaybee_s, on Flickr

John

Hi,

Nice job, but lets have a look at the scope!

I have Kikusui 100meg and a Hameg recording scope.

Pete

John, share the secret, how did you persuade the wife to go with the Large Hadron Collider decor?

Hi, John

Nice! the most I ever managed was 4 scopes at one time.

One of mine in action.

DSC_0290.jpg

Pete

Latest posts

Back