Routing Birch Ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krismusic

Established Member
Reaction score
I am making some small boxes from Birch Ply. I intend to rebate the ends of the sides. In the past I have used a radial arm saw to trench them out. This works quite well but does leave slight marks from the kerf of the saw blade. I assume that a better way would be to use a router in a table but I suspect that I would have problems with the router tearing the ply at the end of the cuts. The sides are rebated before the ends, so using scrap as a run off is not an option as far as I can see. Any advice / opinions much appreciated.

Kris
Are you referring to tearout at the end of the cut? ANd am I right in thinking that you can't use a push block because it wouldn't make contact with the already-rebated edge? If I have that right then the answer is to make a push block with a rebate in the front edge, so that the push-block and workpiece mate.

I have the same problem when using a rail & stile cutter on the router table. I've used this principle in that situation and it does the trick perfectly.
Cheers
Steve

You might want to get down shear router cutters also, they cut veneered boards really well.

Latest posts

Back