Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello workshop forum, Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced (max £220) high quality router ? I made the mistake of getting a cheap one which didn't last long. Thanks.

Do yourself a favour and lookin this Trend 11EK. Wow, am I impressed! :D

It is fantasic, adjustable, easy access and you can get many fittings and fixtures for it.

Great buy I made.

Cheers

Have a look at the Triton now at a great price for a great router. Usual no-connection disclaimer, other than totally satisfied user. You'll find a few more of those on this Forum too. If you want a router for in-table use, this is the tool!

Ray.

search for the old Triton Vs Trend argument (there's been a few). I have the Triton and like it very very much.

The Triton has the grunt and is ideal used in a router table. Its not ideal for hand held use as it weights about 7kgs

Hi Paul

You didnt say what max collet size or type of use you were interested in, so here are a few different options - all of which I use, or have used, & would happily recommend and buy again if I had to :-

For hand-held routing - a DeWalt DW621K (currently £159 at DM Tools) - 1100 Watts, 1/4" collet, variable speed, soft start. The only disappointment with it was that the plunge range was very poor with the clear plastic dust guard in place - once that was removed it was fine & extraction didnt seem to be particularly compromised by removing it.

For table mounting - a Freud FT2200VCEK (currently £165 at DM Tools) - 1900 Watts, 1/2" collet, variable speed, soft start. Loads of plunge capacity (3"). Not so suitable for hand-held use as, like most 1/2" routers, its a heavy beast & also doesnt have any safety interlock on the on-off switch, but ideal for mounting in a table.

My first router was a Bosch POF500 (currently £69 at Toolshopdirect) - still in use for light duty table or hand-held use - 500 Watts, 1/4" collet. As it is easily dismountable from its plunge base & has a standard 43mm collar I'm thinking of using it in small special purpose jigs (variation of a Router Lathe etc type of thing). If I had to replace it I would probably look at the Trend T3 as its seems similar & quite a bit cheaper (currently £30 at DM Tools).

Hope this is of some help

Richard

The people who mentioned the Triton may have not realised there are two models out now. The one you want is the more powerful one seen HERE.

The lower powered one can be seen HERE.

After a lot of research I decided on the Triton over the Trend mainly due to the fact that the Triton has a lot of Table specific features and has the OOOMPH to handle it too. Unfortunatly I'm still saving up for it (still spending all my damn savings on decorating and bills atm) but I WILL get it by mid-summer. :p

Neomorph":2drp049n said:
The people who mentioned the Triton may have not realised there are two models out now. The one you want is the more powerful one seen HERE.
My link goes to the more powerful one (the TRB001). The lower-powered model (MOF001) seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked lately.

Ray.

Argee":2hpp2j88 said:
My link goes to the more powerful one (the TRB001). The lower-powered model (MOF001) seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked lately.

Ray.

I didn't want him to see the cheaper price and go "WOOT" as they look almost identical. :wink:

Hi Paul

What do you want to use the router for?

I agree with Richard, the DW621K is an excellent hand-held router. If you go for the 621K, I would recommend buying the 8mm collet as you get 60% more steel for the same money.

Cheers
Neil

Paul

I would presume at £220 you're after a half inch model. I have a Trend T9 and a Dewalt 625. Both were bought before the arrival of Trends T11 so you will probably guess what I would recommend now.

The 625 is a good no frills router and will get most jobs done. IMHO it can only benefit from a fine height adjustment that can be adjusted throught a table. (I use a Jessum lift so it's not required by me at the moment)

If I were to buy a new router and it wasn't a Festool, I would have no problems in buying the Trend T11.

Gary

Argee":drbhc5hh said:
. The lower-powered model (MOF001) seems to be out of stock everywhere I've looked lately.Ray.
Ray The woodworking centre had a couple prior to the Sywell weekend
Barry

Check Axminster to see if they're still doing a deal on the CMT. Think I got mine for £179. Very pleased with, especially as I seem to have cured the sticky collet problem. What I would add, however, is that I am now tempted to buy a second, more light weight one. Long term I'll probably mount the CMT in a table and I guess that will be the time when I'll justify the second purchase. If you've no plans to mount the router in the table/buy two, then I would go for something smaller than the CMT and similar.

Back