Router Tables - Sod Convention!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
Those of you who know me will agree I often have completely random ideas. Most of the time these defy convention and more often than not the outcome is no better than existing designs. However, this time I have a novel plan, I just need to think about it a bit more in-depth.

My basic idea is a router table but with the router being mounted horizontally where the fence would normally be. My idea is to have a semi-static workpiece (yes I realise that this would mean in some cases having a really long bed so I intend to design the table with extensions). The router would be mounted on a rail moving from end to end with a sprung carriage to act as a vertical plunge so you descend onto the workpiece and if you let go of the router it lifts away from the workpiece. The router depth setting will be obtained by moving the workpiece rather than plunging the router.

I know this isn't exactly practical for large items but I though it would be nice for smaller pieces like spindles or mouldings. I know it won't be cheap to build but I'm hoping that for the prototype I can recycle a lot of the mechanisms from existing tools and adapt them to suit.

I just like thinking outside the box and defying convention. After all it would be a boring world if everything stayed the same and no-one challenged with new ideas :mrgreen:

Any thoughts? I'll try and get something drawn up over the next few days.

There are a fair few videos on YouTube regarding horizontal router tables that you could nick ideas from.
Sounds like you're looking to make a horizontal router, with some features found on overhead routers.
Unless I've misunderstood, in which case ignore me.
Either way, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Only by challenging the status quo can we develop new ideas. And who knows where those ideas may take us.

All the best.
Adam.

But why would you want to do this ? What's the advantage over a normal table ?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

But why would you want to do this ? What's the advantage over a normal table ?

I mount a Festool MFK 700 router on the edge of a Festool Work Table in a horizontal position so that the bit overhangs the table. It's perfect for routing the male component of sliding dovetails, as it means you're resting the workpiece flat on the table rather than balancing it on edge and trying to keep it perfectly vertical while sliding it over the cutter.

Not my idea, I read about it in the second half of this article,

http://thedovetailjoint.squarespace.com ... educed.pdf

I have, somewhere, a device to fix my router with the cutter axis horizontal. Quite easily done using shafts in the guide bar holes to hold the router. Screw adjustment of the height above the table, clamping the router to the bars once set.
xy

MMUK":2i7l9smj said:
Random Orbital Bob":2i7l9smj said:
Think you're a bit late old son...Matthias' genius is waaay ahead of all of us I suspect :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDPrFJazD3Q

Not quite what I had in mind but pineapple me! He is a pure genius =D> =D> =D>

Does he sell plans?

He's made loads of amazing devices over the years. A really clever guy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

He's quite the inventor in fact. Before he became a "professional youtube poster" he worked for the Canadian firm that produce the Blackberry smartphone. I think he was in on the ground floor before that company took off and did pretty well out of it. Very clever bloke.

look forward to this
i like to re-invent the wheel

who says a table is the best option

Steve

I recommend you bookmark his youtube channel and review his posted material as there's quite a back catalogue including his own builds of bandsaw, tablesaw, planar, dozens of clever wooden gears, tenon jig etc etc. He's a prolific poster and quite clearly an engineering genius.

Plus the fact that he's also brilliant at maths ..... mind you. being of German origin probably accounts for it.

Back