Router Table Top > Dakota from Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiler99

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone got this router table top. I have finished building my router table all except the top, this one looks ideal but is the same size as my base which leaves no overhang and it also has rounded corners which when put on the base wouldnt look right.
I hope you can understand what i am trying to explain, any thoughts.
The reason for buying the top complete is because of 1, time...2, cant find any formica for a reasonable price...3, because by the time i have bought all items to make it, i may as well have bought this top.

chain.jpg
:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one.

£69 and too small for the base you have already built, I would either look for a bigger pre made one, or make my own, because in the end I do not think you will be happy with that one.

Cheers

Mike

I intended to make my own but the problem is getting the Formica. i can get it but at a heavy price. By the time i have added the track and insert it would be cheaper to buy that one but i guess you are right that i wouldnt be happy if it were too small for the base.

I am in the final stages of making a router table top and I have to say if I was doing it again I would buy a top, the agro getting the formica, then cutting and laminating the mdf is not worth it, certainly price wise and to be honest for an enthusiastic amateur as long as the Dakota is flat I would go for it. If it is too small I am sure you can use a bit of skill to edge with a nice couple of pieces of hardwood a lot quicker than what I am doing. Do a search because I remember seeing someone had one and said it was sort of OK.

Alan

A nice fire door is worth having. They do cost a fair bit but for flat and strong and big, they are hard to beat. I bought one for my vacuum veneer press - covering it with decamel laminate and it has been great. I have used offcuts from the original door for a variety of jobs where I needed something flat and strong, like a planing board. They make great workbench tops - a friend built one using such a door and it has been great.

Ah - you can even buy them ready laminated with Decamel - http://www.spalaminates.co.uk/products/doors.asp

I know you said you don't want to buid a top but have a look at Ron Foxes method on the Weadlon site here:-

http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/rou ... _tips.html

I used it to build mine, it's absolutely foolproof. Also he recommends using a simple jig against the fence for endgrain/cross cutting so you can save yourself the cost of a track.

Cheers

Grahame

Its the Formica that is stopping me building my own top. Its just so bloody hard to get hold of. There was a load on Ebay last week but it was too far to collect.

Don't bother with the formica then. Mine is MDf with a couple of coats of acrylic varnish. Been is use for a couple of years now with no problems.

John

This is also on my "to do" list

Someone mentioned fire doors - I have one (slight water damage) Chipboard faced with birch I'd say 2" thick.
Its certainly as flat as a flat thing.
Damn heavy too.

Does anyone know if this would be OK ?
Like Tiler, by time I've bought insert & runners its up there with a bought top.

Thanks for link Spadge

Sorry about the hijack Tiler
By the way how bigger top do you want?
Can't see me needing a whole door full - am a fair distance away from you I think
PM if you want to confirm

Hi Lurker my top needs to be about 820 x 610...no smaller.

I may end up going the melamine board route.

Tiler99

For my NYW router table I used two pieces of MDF glued face to face for the extra mass and gave it half a dozen coats of Danish oil. Worked perfectly for about 4-5 months and then I was given some MDF counter tops with Formica already on them.

I say make your own from two pieces of 19mm MDF and use Danish oil - trust me, it works fine

Latest posts

Back