Router Table Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
just after your thoughts
any reason not to put the extractor port on the front instead of back...apart from it being in the way?
should the port sit horizontal like most designs I see...or vertical so it can drop into a chute and straight into dust port?
could I then put a 63mm port in the back of tables box and upto the fence? is a fence port even worth the work?

Steve

My only concern with it being vertical is you could end up loosing other bits. The amount of stuff I drop in my router when changing cutters is unreal. At least with it being horizontal, you can retrieve your bearing/other bits from the bottom.

The fence port works well on mine, I wouldn't do without it.

I've finally finished mine, I have used the Axminster Dust Extraction Adaptor http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-dust-extraction-adaptor-100mm-502568 on the back with a short length of hose from the 62mm connection to my fence port; very happy with the results so far. Router housing has a compound sloped ramp affair in the bottom to persuade dust and chips towards the extraction port. I would think that a front mounted dust port would get in the way, especially if you are running 100mm main hose.

When I built my 'New Yankee Workshop' inspired router table I realised that extractor ports on the rear meant that the whole thing had to be about a foot away from the wall to allow for the hose. I re-designed it so that the hose was connected to the side and the 'chip diverter' or whatever you want to call it was angled so that they went to the side rather than the middle rear. Works alright and I can push the table against the wall without wasted space.

Tony Comber

sounds like the fence extraction is worthwhile
thanks again for all input
the rear port for me would be a pain (should of made my table smaller and that is an option tbh)
side port is an option
I see the problem of dropping stuff inside so a bottom port is off the list

Steve

If you are making your own router fence, you can combine the two dust extractions by building a tunnel on the back of the fence, and drilling a big hole in the table top just behind the plate.
The chips are sucked back into the tunnel, down the hole, and out the main outlet. That saves having a top hose getting in the way.

I have a fence port and one below the table. The latter is on the back of the cupboard in which the router is housed and has a door on the front. The combination of the two is highly effective. The rear port is a bit of a pain but it could have the port on the side were it not for the fact that there are storage compartments either side of the cupboard. The enclosed router compartment helps to reduce the noise quite a bit - I keep meaning to line the cupboard with acoustic foam but haven't got round to it.

Jim

sunnybob":13exda9l said:
If you are making your own router fence, you can combine the two dust extractions by building a tunnel on the back of the fence, and drilling a big hole in the table top just behind the plate.
The chips are sucked back into the tunnel, down the hole, and out the main outlet. That saves having a top hose getting in the way.

I like the thinking behind this
would be great if you had a link to the design

Steve

This is mine.
You can see as the fence slides forwards the hole is covered by the tunnel.
IMG_1471_zpsyn0fepcy.jpg

you said it just drops into same box I think
I wonder if more efficient if a Y piece was fitted and a hose attached to the table hole behind fence?
this idae would keep plumbing underneath table neat and tidy
and must be better than having a hose dragging the fence whilst trying to adjust
the gap in your split fence seems to be beveled backwards
is that so u can drop disposable zero inserts in there ?

Steve

Every fitting and every foot of hose is an air flow restriction. The hole is very efficient and collects almost all chips from the bit. I used to have the axminster adaptor mentioned here and a hose to the back of the fence, but I found it a complete pain having to re route the hose every time I moved the fence and I'm sure I lost suction with the hose going upwards in a curve over the back of the table. I dont have any fittings inside the box, just the 4" rear outlet.
That fence has been superceded twice now ( My workroom tools arent works of art because they are always being rebuilt and re designed). The taper was there in an attempt to get the sliding fences as close as possible to the cutter when using a trim bit but I have found I dont need that anymore.

I was looking at buying the same extractor port from Axminster then realised it would bring the table too far off the wall as has been mentioned.
Do you still have the picture of your setup Sunnybob? The link posted above seems to be broken.

Latest posts

Back