Router Table Digital Readout

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chop n Join

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

Is anyone using a Digital Readout on their router table for fence positioning?

I am building a table and thinking about putting on a Digital Readout that I have.

I would like to hear your comments.

Thank you.

Unless the fence moves in a parallel fashion, as opposed to pivoting at one end, it will not read accurately.

Roy.

Hi Roy

I totally agree.

I have an Incra Fence that I intended to use it with.

Bye for now.

If you have the incra fence then I really don't see the point in having a digital readout?

Not necessary. Trying to emulate machine tool accuracy is pointless. I don't have an Incra (whatever it does that a simple fence doesn't do) either, and I can still get top notch results from my table with nothing more than a precision engineers rule and 6" square for setting up.

I've found that the hold-down setup is just as crucial to the end result as anything else, as the right pressure is essential for repeatability.

I agree with ike,i just dont see the point in something like fractional mm accuracy in woodwork.Im making a table at the moment from tufnol which is sitting on a frame welded and bolted together from bed angle iron. The fence im using is from an axminster planer thicknesser (the alloy one which i had lying around from upgrading to the cast iron version),i havent used it yet but from what i can see the fence is rock solid and easily moves back and forward,and locks into place.Thats all im concerned about.I used the axminster fence as it was lying around doing nothing ,im sure a simple solid wooden fence would be just as good.
Ive never seen anyone looking at routed moulding and measuring it with a micrometer.

Hi

The use of a digital readout is not just for accuracy but repeatability.

This is the basis of the Incra LS Positioner and Incra Ultra.

Bye for now.

I have an incra LS positioner and can acheive one thou fence movement and for repeatability you just move it back to where it was, therefore I cant see the need for a digital readout.

motownmartin":7doh0l3s said:
I have an incra LS positioner and can acheive one thou fence movement and for repeatability you just move it back to where it was, therefore I cant see the need for a digital readout.
And what do you make from wood that requires 1/1000" tolerances?? :?

bob_c":3vv81f8o said:
motownmartin":3vv81f8o said:
And what do you make from wood that requires 1/1000" tolerances?? :?
Probably nothing Bob but a sliding dovetail will come close, just a couple more thou and it'll fit nicely, or maybe just tap the fence until you think its there, I know what I prefer :wink:

Yeah Martin i can see some advantages if your doing dovetails and box joints on the table.But for mouldings etc... there is no need for that sort of accuracy.I do dovetails and box joints by hand or on the Leigh jig.

It is quite simple, you just have to make sure you work from the same datum, also make sure the fence is square and table is flat, which just leaves seting the height of the cutter and the jig templates will do the rest.

I have the Incra and just love the repeatabilty - the thou adjustment is also good for setting bearing bits in line with the fence - that used to annoy me somewhat. As Martin mentioned the Dovetails are good too.

Back to the orginal question... I can't see the benefit of fitting the digital readout - the Incra holds its repeatabilty so well. Also, if you want to work in metric it is easy to convert in your head - 4 thou is .1mm etc... I have also made a printed chart I keep in the Router table. It saves having to think too much. I just look up say 11mm and know I need to dial in 11/32 and then take 4 thou off.

Also I can see the digital scale would get "annoyed" as until the Incra is in the locked position there is a bit of lateral movement which would cause it to move in a strange manner.

Cheers
David

DavidE":1qd4fgpm said:
I have also made a printed chart I keep in the Router table. It saves having to think too much. I just look up say 11mm and know I need to dial in 11/32 and then take 4 thou off.
Now thats a good idea david :D

can you not get the incra ls positioner in metric?

Hi

I Don't have the positioner, just the fence.

That is why I am thinking of using the digital readout.

Bye for now

WiZeR":22qoa5jd said:
can you not get the incra ls positioner in metric?
You can buy a conversion kit which is the racking, as standard you can move the fence 1/32" about 0.8mm and the metric will move 1mm but I don't know about the fine adjustment.

Latest posts

Back