Router table choices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaffajim0

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for the right router table for me and I am astonished at how confusing the choice is. I would say there look like more choices in those than any other workshop machine. I mean in options rather than just price. Do you need a sliding carriage, or rather, are they that much better that they justify the price? Cutter changing is another biggie for me. Should I go for a table that tilts to help with that or just one where the plate sits in place without being screwed down so that to change cutter you just take it out of the table? I can't afford the Record power RPMSR and can't really see why it is so much more than the Axminster equivalent. The biggest issue for me is not only the table but then buying a good 1/2" router to go in it. I have a DeWalt DW621 but I want to keep that hand held and anyway it is only 1/4". With the router in mind do I consider the Woodstar BS52? If it works it is an incredible price but I am worried that it is so cheap and I seem to have heard mostly, but not all, negatives about it. I am sure somebody will suggest making my own which is an option but I have so many things to do first it will be some time before I can and I need to get on. I did think maybe Axminsters little Premier benchtop router table looked like a compromise of a decent table while I don't have the time to make my own. Any advice greatly accepted.

YOU SEE, thats why I always worry about posting for advice, Someone always comes along to muddy the waters!!! :duno: I had seen both of those and like the look of them both. The bench top one looks like the Axi one I mentioned but I probably like the Axi one a little more. The other one looks a great price and I must admit to being tempted. I just wonder if that will satisfy me long term or not. It does not have any tilting action for cutter change nor a sliding carriage.

jaffajim0, why not make one? Spend the money on a good router, which you can change the bits from the top, and a router plate. The rest of the table can be made as cheaply or as expensive as you want. There are plenty of examples on this site.

I thought there would be a few who suggest to build my own and I am happy to do so but I would still like to know what peoples views are on the most useful features on a router table, Sliding carriage, Tilting table + any others you can think of.

Some form of sled or sliding carriage for me. Plus a fence of course.

Roy.

Personally if I were you in your situation I'd buy rather than build. Even a cheap build would cost £50 and you'd get nothing for it when you want to upgrade. The sliding carriage is over kill for a router table and if you think you're going to machine stock so large that one is required you really need a spindle moulder. Personally I like a tilting top but the only real option for that is the record which has an open base. Dust is a big problem when routing so I'd rule anything with an open base out. That really leaves the relatively new small axminster model which looks pretty good to me. At least then you could fill it with a good router and when you decide to make your own at a later date you'll get some money back from eBay. Ultimately building your own is the way to go but to build a good table is not cheap so you may want to leave that as a future project. Avoid the fox/woodstar models. They have a tin foil fence.

I assume this is the one that Dom is referring too. It really doesn't look too bad at all. The only part I may question is the insert plate, which looks to be of the 'un-flat' phenolic/plastic variety - some struggle to set them level; otherwise get along with them fine. If it did give you any trouble though, you could always replace it with their aluminium plate.

I agree with Dom about enclosing the lower half of the table, simply to reduce noise and also to 'control' some of the dust that doesn't reach the extraction port in the back of your fence.

On that note, this model from Jessem looks pretty good. I like the idea of having storage bags around the sides for all your bits and pieces but, I doubt it contains the noise as well as the MDF or chipboard sides on the Axminster unit.

Dom also mentioned the Record Power machine - well, Axminster now have one in their own colours (click here).

Also, I wouldn't worry about buying too many accessories (guards, hold-downs, featherboards, push-sticks) as these can quite easily be made from scraps of MDF or ply.

Ive had one of those phenolic plates for about 5 years sitting around waiting for me to build a table. Lots of people on here moaned about them saying they wont go flat but now ive used it in my table there is no problem. I do have quiet a heavy router which must help to pull it down, its a dewalt 626. You just need to shim the plate in the right places to allow it to settle right.

Heres mine might give you some ideas, I will have to do an update soon when i get back up the workshop https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/rout ... 44913.html

I do like the look of the Record/Axi lift top router table, and I shouldn't have thought that it's much of a job to box out/clad the underside of the table to contain the noise and dust, I reckon half a sheet of mdf and about an hour's work should do it.

OTOH, the Axminster Premier Benchtop Router Table looks like a cracking buy at just over £100, and if space is at a premium, it cam be easily stored away when not in use.

If I hadn't modified my JET SS to take my router, then one of these two would definitely be on my shopping list.

I still can't see why the Record power model is so much more expensive than the Axi one! They look identical apart from the colour. Rutland also have the Dakota Deluxe for £99.95 from £179.95 which just muddies the waters further :roll: If I got that then I think that would be a permanent choice which looking at it would be no bad thing. Decisions decisions!

If it's of any interest, there's rather a good design for one in this month's F&C made from birch ply. I'll be using that as a basis for my re-build later on - Rob

Thanks Dave, That looks well thought out and in such a step by step instruction like that is good for someone like me who doubts his capabilities :oops: I shouldn't as I have made quite a few things but always from my head so when I think of more complex stuff it scares me a bit.

I built my own router table but I did a fairly terrible job of it and just didn't look forward to using it. I saw that little Jessem one the other day and finally decided to buy it today. I'll be routing a lot of MDF so the bag containing the underside of the table should work out great.

I'll let people know what I think of it after I've used it for a little while.

One of the major benefits of building your own is you can choose what size you want.

I'm a bit short of bench top space so decided on what too many would be an over large top (41" x 25") and whilst I don't often rout large material it's a great secondary worktop, especially for assembly, when required.

I've thought about buying a table many times since I made it but of course none have that size top and I'd miss the extra working room now.

Of course depends on workshop layout.

I have had a Jessem router table now for over a year and I would not be without it, it is very well made both in quality and design. It has a Dewalt 626 router with it and it performs very well. What with making more doors now and quite a few fancy mouldings it is well on the way for paying for itself.
Merlin.

Latest posts

Back