Router Rust

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobblycogs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just finished a little routing and I was taking the collect out to clean it when I noticed a few small spots on the inside of the spindle where the collet rests. Closer examination revealed it to be the dreaded rust! I rolled up a bit of 400 grit W&D into a cone and gave it literally just a couple of touches to remove it but it's got me a little concerned because this isn't an (easily) replaceable part as far as I can tell. I'm happy I won't have upset the balance of the router.

My question is why has rust formed and is there anything I can do about it. After a routing session I take the collect off and blow out any dust and then screw it back into the spindle (making sure not to squeeze the collet without a bit). I'm guessing that a few fibres of wood have remained in there and absorbed a little water or something. My only other guess is that the collet and the spindle are slightly different types of steel and that is causing some oxidation - there is no oxidation on the collect as far as I can see which is why I've considered this. I've now taken the collet off and stored it separately.

Would a little oil be safe? Don't want the bit spinning in the collet obviously but I often go a few weeks between getting the router out for a play.

I'm not sure if its an answer to your problem but I use Boeshield to protect from rust. The stuff is brilliant.

Its a wax based product and I'm pretty sure it won't show up in any finishes.

Eoin

wobblycogs":1wn6ctb2 said:
After a routing session I take the collect off and blow out any dust and then screw it back into the spindle (making sure not to squeeze the collet without a bit). .

What do you blow it out with?
Compressed air? Nice and dry.
Or a little puff from your mouth....how much moisture is in there?

I'm not a machinery guy but as said Boeshield is good. I use waxoil (probably the same stuff) for protecting parts of the boat that might get rusty.
Doug

I use lung power to blow the dust out of the collet I use a brush on the spindle (and on the collet as well usually). The rust is on the spindle, could be moisture from my breath but I'm not convinced. I wouldn't normally have asked but none of my other equipment shows any signs of rust at all. My shop is freezing cold but not damp and the rust is limited to just where the collet touches the spindle.

P.S. I hope spindle is the correct name for the part I'm describing, can't think what else you would call it.

Didn't fancy a trip out to the shop so here's a photograph someone else prepared earlier and I wrote all over...

router.jpg

'Tis not cheap but it's a really nice router. The only thing that bugs me is the carrying case - it doesn't allow the plunge base to be put back with any of the dust extraction cowls and the router body has to be swtiched to the fixed base to fit in even though 99% of the work is done with the plunge base. Oh and there is no where for the fence / guide.

I would have thought a drop of 3-in-1 oil or WD40 would keep it rust-free and wouldn't affect the gripping power of the collet. That's what I use on my routers and any threads and nuts.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Cheers, I think I'll give it a go. I'm sure you can understand why I didn't just rush in with the 3in1 straight away. I had visions of the old wives tale about the guy who oiled the brakes on his car because they were squeeking.

I think you'll find that how securely the collet grips the cutter is more to do with the design of the collet than whether the components are lubricated.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Back