Router help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob_c

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been using the same router for almost 25 years .Its a Sears Craftsman 1 1/2 hp model that i bought from a place in London called Heidelmeyer or ?? in the 1980`s with lots of attachments including a bit sharpening attachment that fits on the base. Ive used it for mainly for rebates,edge moulding etc.Its 220-240volts .I` ve just
bought the Leigh superjig 12 for to do a load of drawers for workshop storage.
Problem is the leigh jig uses 8mm bits,this has a 1/4" collet only.It looks to have plenty of room in the spindle end to be able to use a 8mm collet.Anyone know where to buy different size collets and if they are even available for this model.(743-21). Cant find any info on the web on this model,and the Sears spares website is down.
Another problem is what would be the easiest way to get the Leigh E bush to fit the base or would i need something like a trend universal base fitted onto the bottom of it first?? Sorry i dont know anything much about dovetailing with routers .All i know is this router has served me really well and still has absolutely no play in the spindle/bearings.Never been repaired.So id like to use this with the Leigh jig rather than go to the expense of getting another router.Any suggestions advice welcome.
831421104-DSC_0005.JPG

38086685-DSC_0008.JPG

Just found the original brochure and pricelist in a drawer,The router was £109 + VAT in 1982.The distributor was Hagemeyer.
No mention of larger collets available.
Sorry for all the photos just find them interesting.
I found brochures and manuals for alsorts of Sears stuff and Elu whilst searching through a drawer ive never been in for over 20 years.I like how the routers one above the heavy duty one and described as the super router! 3 HP ones are relatively common nowadays.I also noticed i bought the 7/16" guidebush along with others in a set when i bought the router,am i right in thinking this is compatable with the Leigh jig? I cant find it at present though.
76427075-Untitled-2.jpg

106677524-Untitled-3.jpg

85143832-Untitled-11.jpg

531041239-Untitled-4.jpg

The other approach might be to use 1/4 leigh cutters.
My leigh jig is an older one -D1600 but that uses 1/4" cutters I've some from leigh and some from Axminster from their yellow range - perform?

HTH

Bob

I had a similar router some years ago, in fact identical except for the name plate. It was an Atlas Copco, also an american machine. Maybe they had some collets to fit your Sears.
Just a thought.
Cheers,
Gower

Hi Bob, I have no answers but I would suggest that you take good care of the documentation, a lovely bit of history and thanks for showing them.
Rich.

Leigh advises people to use 8mm shank cutters as they are more rigid; howeveryou will have no problems using 1/4" cutters in your existing collet.

You can get the full range from Wealden
http://www.wealdentool.com/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Dovetail_122.html

It is unlikely that you will find an 8mm collet to fit your router. They are not that common anyway, and would have been unheard of when your router was made.

Cheers
Dan

Thanks for the replies, ive looked on the trend site and there are quite a few collets ,but not too much info, on what router models they will fit.
I checked the Sears parts website yesterday evening and they still sell the 1/4" collet but not the nut.The collet fits in the nut with a circlip. There must be similar collets available that may work.The porter cable nut/collets look very similar.
Ive heard Sears dont like making their stuff compatable with other makes jigs,etc so you have to buy ther own accesories.I also heard that Ryobi actually made alot of these routers for Sears,dont know whether thats true or not? I suppose if i cant find a collet ,it means using 1/4" bits and having to buy more or buy a more compatable router.I read the leigh literature and it says all Sears Craftsman non plunge routers need a set of bushes,etc.. made by them.I suppose a new base will increase my options,apart from the Trend uni base ,theres one on their site listed as American style...?
Rich, yeah the brochures etc... are interesting, one shock i had was that i found the 1983 pricelist from the same supplier andthe router had gone done to £78.Thats a lot of a price drop in early 1980`s.

bob_c":3h9t38yo said:
I suppose if i cant find a collet ,it means using 1/4" bits and having to buy more or buy a more compatable router.

Buying a new router to suit the 8mm dovetail cutter you have sounds a bit extreme.

A new 1/4" cutter will cost you less than a tenner!

Remember, if you do buy a new router, it won't come with a 8mm collet as standard. You'll have to buy that seperately - and they are about 20 quid.

So I'd go with the 1/4" cutter!

Cheers
Dan

Hi Dan, i can see your point .Though if i bought a half inch router,Leigh have provided a 1/2" -8mm collet.
Whats the quality of these Leigh cutters,they say on their website they are top quality with sandvik carbide.The boxes say made in Taiwan.

There's nothing wrong with the Leigh cutters, although I find Wealden ones just as good at a lower cost. They are no doubt made in Taiwan too. I imagine almost all router cutters are made in either Taiwan or China. Isn't everything?

I would have serious doubts about using a 1/2" router for machining dovetails in the Leigh jig. 1/2" routers are very big and heavy, and are best suited to use in a table or for heavy duty hand-held work such as jointing kitchen worktops.

I'm sure that most people would agree with me that for more delicate work such as you want to do a smaller lighter router is more suitable. Personally I can recommend the DeWalt 621 which takes either 1/4" or 8mm collets and has the advantage of excellent dust extraction.

Cheers
Dan

The dust extraction is quite good actually with just the dust bag on .Its gets sucked up through the handle.If im doing a quick job i use the bag but if im doing alot of routing in the workshop i,ll use the extractor .

My first router was a step down from this one, but still a great tool. I've passed it to my Dad in the States, and from what I can tell, it's still going strong after two brush changes.

I checked the parts database for that model and found that the standard collet for the 743-21 Craftsman router is part# 610662-000. While a lot of the parts have been discontinued, this one is on backorder (good news, because it means that it must be part of a newer, supported router).

The sleuthing now involves finding which router also uses this collet, then getting the 8mm collet for that model. There's no reverse lookup on the Sears parts system, so it'll be hunt and peck. The full (original) parts diagram can be found
here.

A cursory look at eBay US came up with this, but that only works if your router was capable of handling a 1/2 inch collet.

It's going to be challenging to find an 8mm collet for any router, short of a PC, Dewalt or Bosch. Remember, in the US, millimeters are something for which the exterminator sprays. In reality, I'd opt for just getting a 1/4" dovetail with either an integrated bearing guide (what I use with a fixed base PC) or a matching collar attached to an inexpensive aftermarket base.

Remember, you've got a fixed base router (a rarity, these days). In my experience, that means inherently less wobble than with a plunge router (no flames, please). If you move slowly and steadily, a 1/4" should work just fine.

If you do decide to get a part from the US and run into trouble, let me know. I still have an eBay account over there and can get my sister to ship small things on from Ohio.

Thanks, Jim :lol:

Hi Jim ,thanks for the info.glad to hear from someone else whos used one of these routers,i think its a great machine.Yes it is very steady to use as well.
I have a heap of accesories for it,router table,bit sharpener,router lathe for making barley twist legs,etc...
Ive currently getting a retro fit blade guard ,table etc... for their recalled Radial Arm Saw, shipped over by Emerson tools.I got a mail today to say they`ve shipped it.Ive been waiting 3 months,theyve had to make a special crate for it and ive checked the tracking and it says it weighs 120lbs. :eek: Not sure why so much fuss over the shipping or why it weighs so much.Im not paying a penny so not worried,unless customs decide otherwise.

The Craftsman might not list an 8mm collet, but it's likely it will list a 3/8" collet (remember, it's a USA brand). Others may correct me, but I'm pretty certain it's the same thing.

Alternately, if you can bump your collet up to 1/2" (check the inner diameter of the hollow bit in your shaft... boy, with a comment like that, most office firewalls will block this message), you can sleeve it down to 3/8". The 3/8" were pretty popular when that Craftsman came out, so I'd give it better than 50&% that you'll find one.

Now, if I can just find a soft-start 230v motor for my Porter Cable base...

Thanks, Jim

Back