router decision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wanted to canvas opinions from the more experienced before diving in.

I went to my local tool shop today intending to buy a Trend T11Ek at £250 but was offered what I think is the bargain price of £190 on the DeWalt DW625EK - they have a small number available at what I think is a very good price - (all inc VAT). I was very tempted to go for the DeWalt but forced myself not to make a spur of the moment decision.

What does the group think? I was very keen to get the overhead adjustment facility of the Trend, as it is going to live in my new table, but is it worth the extra £60?? I don't think it has any other advantages for me. Is the support for trend accessories any better than DeWalt when they are virtually identical in many aspects (but not the base)?

I imagine that I might be able to buy the Trend on the internet cheaper but I prefer to deal with my local shop and often get a bit of extra discount when money changes hands.

Opinions gratefully received...

thanks, Colin

Hi Colin

DeWalt make the Trend T11 and it is identical apart from the lifting mechanism and the difference in the base to allow for the lift. The DW625EK seems to be on offer at the moment and this could be because a new model is due to be announced (pure speculation on my part).

If I was buying a router purely to live in the table then I'd go for the Triton. It was designed for use in a table and, unlike any other router, the air vents all face down when you have it inverted. IMHO, it also has a far more robust built-in lifting mechanism.

If you do a search you'll find many happy Triton users. I think they're about 230.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Colin,

I was very close to buying the 625 a year or so ago but dithered a bit which was great because then Trend brought out the T11 with the ability to adjust from above the table. I would have kicked myself if I had bought the 625 just beforehand as then you need to spend loads of extra on plunge bars or router raizers etc which would work out a whole lot more expensive.

Save up for an Xtreme Xtension too and using the T11 in a table will be a dream with no hassle at all.

There are also several very happy Triton users here as well so probably well worth a look, although I am very happy with the T11 myself so far.

You will probably find the T11 £10 to £20 cheaper on the net as you say.

Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Cheers

Colin
The T11-definitely!!
The lift facility is SO great-you'd kick yourself if you went for the DW (which is the same router, kinda) The T11 also has extra plunge capacity.
HTH
Philly :D

Well I will speak up for the triton.

I have an old B&Q router that spent most of its time in the table, even bought an extreme extension for it, magic upgrade but its now unused since I bought a triton. The triton is so good in the table the height adjustment may not be above the table but it just does not matter as the whole thing is so good. :D

Triton as long as you are happy to have a dedicated table machine - it is a bit clumsy out of a table. Just superb, massively solid, huge power, tightly (and cleverly) engineered, hugely convenient, perfect dust extraction (upside down at least) - and as a bonus it doesn't whine or scream, but has a lower-pitched "brrmmmm" (more like a spindle moulder) which is much easier on the ears. Erm, between putting the ear protection off and on of course.

My triton is in a trend mk1 table, I just drilled new holes in the mounting plate.
When the tuit turns up I plan to make a Norm type table like lots of other forum members have.

Mine is in a CMT table - terrible waste of money if you have spare time to build one, but I had an end result I needed to get on with, quickly, or management would not have been happy.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't thought about the Triton, I'll take a look at one today.

I'm building the table from Bill Hyton's 'Woodworking with the Router'. The table's not unlike the Norm one. Am just off to by the plywood. I built the horizontal table from that book a couple of years back and it's become one of my most useful tools.

Have managed to find a large formica sheet upstairs at my friendly wood store - I think that they had it in stock for years, it's a dull red - not ideal but it only cost me a £1. I also just managed to find a couple of pieces of 10mm acrylic suitable for the mounting plate so it's all coming together.

thanks, Colin

I'm not sure yet that I'll use the red formica on the top but at that price you don't say no do you?

I haven't made a decision about the router but I have managed to make progress on the table. I found the last sheet of birch ply in town yesterday after visiting a few places - it seems to have gone out of fashion, probably due to the price. I've cut the main parts and built the basic carcase today, it's all clamped up now while the glue dries.

After much deliberation I finally decided!!

The Triton and the Trend were both tempting but following a useful discussion with the very helpful Roger at the Woodworkers Workshop I have ordered a Woodpecker Unilift and an Eliminator chuck and have chosen the DW625 from my local supplier. The lift has been on my wish list since I saw it at the Warwick show last year.

Thanks though for everyone's advice. Am really looking forward to getting the table finished now.

Colin

Latest posts

Back