Router collets

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterdewolf

Established Member
Reaction score
In a bit of a fix. I have a JCB router and have lost the 1/2 inch collet. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE to find any parts for this router. It's 12.7 mm internal and I've managed to find dewalt router collets that look like they would do but does anyone here have a JCB router with a 1/2 in collet ? If so would you post a picture of it so I can compare with possible 'universal' replacement parts.

Bumping, any takers ? And if you have a Bosch router JCB 'customer services' say their collets are identical and would you mind posting a pic please. When I asked them to sell me one from the factory they declined, when I asked them to email me a picture of their collet, 'she' said she had no way of sending me an email ??????

Bosch collet 24mm a/f hex
Bosch - Side view.JPG

Bosch end view.JPG

Collet is only a little longer than the nut and the collet outer is a single smooth taper

Contrast with the trend/dewalt which easily comes out of the nut and is much longer than the nut which has 22mm a/f hex

Trend-Dewalt.JPG

Attachments

• Bosch - Side view.JPG
    Bosch - Side view.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Bosch end view.JPG
    Bosch end view.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 292
  • Trend-Dewalt.JPG
    Trend-Dewalt.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 292
OH you are a gent, many thanks. I can get this from china at £3-00. Trend and other UK retailers are selling them at anywhere from £30-00 to £40-00 !! The picture you posted of the Bosch Nut/collet. Is that a complete unit, ie they come already 'fixed' together and don't come apart ?

Hmm, three quid from China or 30 quid from MTMC in Yeovil? Tough call.

One will take a month, may be stopped in customs and might be poor quality. If there is a problem, you have wasted all that time and are no better off at the end of things. Realistically, if it's not right, you are back to square one, minus a bit of cash and a lot of time.

The other will come from a reputable family firm, whom you can talk to in English on the phone, and who know their business (spare parts for tools) really well. You will get your parts by the next post that's practical. The price reflects the stockholding they carry to deliver that service.

Alternatively, might this be an opportunity to invest in a better quality, 1/2" collet router? I have a couple of small Bosch routers and suck my teeth over the price of their collets. And the ones I have, admittedly 1/4", don't work half as well as the Elu/Trend/DeWalt collet design - you either tighten excessively or risk the cutter slipping and chattering. The 1/4" collet for my big Trend T11 is pretty bomb proof. It has done a lot more work than the little machines but still grips correctly. And, being in the table mostly, it probably has more cutter changes than the small ones...

I wouldn't presume to tell you what to do, but I tend to buy from Miles Tools.

As it turns out, JCB routers are made in china. I do most of my work on a Radial Arm Saw, it's rare for me to reach for the router so a chinese collet for £3-00 will 'suit you sir' ;-)

My Bosch collets have resisted all non destructive attempts to part them to take the photos.

My router came with three collets each with its own nut.

If you have lost the 1/2 inch collet,do you have others of different sizes?If so you could measure them for comparison with those on offer-obviously the 1/2 inch part will be the same.The differences might lie in snap rings grooves and the taper within the collet nut and spindle.If you can be sure the Chinese product is suitable you might be surprised at how quickly it arrives.I have known parts appear in four days and sometimes four weeks,it just depends on the cargo space available at any time.

Myfordman":2nmc1ckq said:
My Bosch collets have resisted all non destructive attempts to part them to take the photos.

My router came with three collets each with its own nut.

Great info, thanks, I now know exactly which one will fit. You've been vety helpful.

worn thumbs":58gs9rot said:
If you have lost the 1/2 inch collet,do you have others of different sizes?If so you could measure them for comparison with those on offer-obviously the 1/2 inch part will be the same.The differences might lie in snap rings grooves and the taper within the collet nut and spindle.If you can be sure the Chinese product is suitable you might be surprised at how quickly it arrives.I have known parts appear in four days and sometimes four weeks,it just depends on the cargo space available at any time.
I've bought directly from China several times, as you say, it never took any longer than a fortnight, I'm in no hurry, I still have my 1/4 in collet and router bits so I'm happy to wait. Although this router doesn't owe me anything, it's a wee workhorse, I'd be loathe to buy JCB again now I know they DO NOT stock spares for their power tools and customer service told me so.

Well I ordered my collet from China on 29 jan and it arrived today. Fit like a glove, spun it up and bombs away. Who's a happy bunny, a fiver and change was all it took, postage and all. The most expensive collet from a UK supplier came out at £53-00 !!! Thank you Myfordman.

Back