Router Boss some photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
For all those jig lovers here are just a couple of shots of the Router Boss in use. A number have now been sold and so far reports have been very promising. I am gradually being sent photos of it in action and I have a few on my site here http://www.aldel.co.uk/RB1.htm

angled_small.jpg

Rails_small.jpg

Sliding rules or card story board plus inbuilt adjustable cursors should make joint making a breeze.
Seems really solidly built to me.

Aldel

does this not infringe the Woodrat patent? anyone know the story behind this, they always sold some very nice Woodrat accessories , something which the Woodrat team struggled to keep up with it always seemed to me.

And what ever happeneied to that new Pathfinder (or what ever their name was) dovetail templates from Woodrat?

A wondering rat owner

Andy

Strange, isn't it? Woodrat has a US patent acording to the label on my machine; perhaps it has expired? I thought US patent law was stricter than UK - ie. illegal to copy a patent design even if only for your own use in US but not here.
Pathfinder is still on the cards, intended for small scale commercial batch production. Martin Godfrey was telling me this when I phoned regarding the new improved mitre box about 2 weeks ago.
Shame the 'rat didn't get a better set of linear bearings, which from downloading the R-boss manual appears to be the main difference. Aldel says on his site it's a "new machine" which sounds to me a bit like saying a Ford does not depend on the same priciples as a Vauxhall. "Cross breeders" will be able to fit some of the R-boss bits to their 'rat if they want, apparently.

As I expect you all know for many years I have be a keen 'Rat user and have run a website with a lot of WoodRat related material, tips and jigs.
Some of those jigs have been to make the machine work a little better.
I have been frustrated that WoodRat did not appear to act upon any of it's customer feed back ideas.
The Router Boss was borne from the wish to make a good machine better.
It is highly unlikely that any remaining ( if any) WoodRat patents have been violated as nobody actively seeks court action.
Table saws, bandsaws etc. etc all have their clones and variations so why should it be different with the 'Rat/RB? Top quality costs top money.
The RB is engineered to a much higher degree and as a consequence is likely to cost more than the 'Rat. So you can pay your money and take your choice. The RB is both engineered and dimensionally different to the WoodRat so I doubt if there will be much crossover of parts.
Router Boss are taking feedback from the new owners and are acting quickly to update and revise anything that need to be done.

There are many forum members here that take pride in owning the highest quality tools and machinery when in truth basic stuff can be sufficient. We all aspire to owning the best we can afford and competition can only be good for us surely?

One new RB owner has sent me his first impressions/ comparisons and I have posted that report here http://www.aldel.co.uk/RB2.htm
There is no doubt that Martin Godfrey should take all credit and recognition for his initial ideas and design but after several years the concept is now being built upon and improved.

Aldel

Aldel

Back