Round Timber Frame Single Story Building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terencedug

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.
I am wanting to build a round timber frame building, and am stuck on the roof design.The external walls are to be timber frame and the dia of the building will be about 6 to 7 mts. The pitch of the roof will be about 15/17 deg. Would it be best to use roof trusses or timber spars ? and how to join at the centre ?

Thanks for any help.

I think out depends on how you are going to stop the roof from spreading...

You either need to triangulate the rafters or reinforce the wall plate so the lateral forces from the roof don't push the top of the wall out.

Or you could do a reciprocal roof structure which you can find loafs of info about online

I've seen quite a few round-wood circular frames around this diameter with reciprocal roofs. Not sure how the engineering works with them, looking at them closely has the effect of inducing mild confusion followed by a mild head ache. They always look like they just shouldn't work. As Kostello said there is load of information about them if you do a quick Google.

Back