Rosewood Fillister and Panel Raiser Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go on. The difference between a Phillister and a Plough? (Phlough? ;))

Philly":1inldf8b said:
Steve
The Philly Plough is almost a reality - I'm building the prototype as we speak (at last!)
Cheers
Philly
Philly - you're going to have to come up with a better name than the
'Philly Plough' :sick: ...doesn't hang together. How about the Phillygroooover? - Rob

My favourite wood that Philly! Without doubt...just um...fondleable (?)!

I love seeing a master craftsman at work....it gives one something to aspire to one day...in the afterlife!!! :wink:

Love the brass knob by the way!!!!! 8)

Jim

wizer":3p0lwmgt said:
go on. The difference between a Phillister and a Plough? (Phlough? ;))
Fillister does rebates while a plough does grooves.

Very lovely, Phil. In truth I'm trying my damnedest not to look. So a Plough then, eh? Now a bridle plough would be interesting... And by interesting, I mean 'potentially terminal for my bank account'. :lol:

Thanks, Folks! So that's a thumbs up, then? Sadly, the customer is coming to collect them tomorrow - sometimes you just don't want to let them go :lol:

Alf - bad news. It is indeed a Bridle Plough - seems the most reliable fence method to me. I'm building three - one in Beech, one in Rosewood (same as these two) and the third in Box. Pics soon (ish).....

Philly :D

Ooooooo, really? Dammit, I'd better start saving. Give us some warning on the pics - I'll need to take on fluids for the drooling. :lol:

Kalimna":1j6pt8lb said:
Please, another question from the newbie corner. What is a 'bridle plough'?

Adam

Bridleplough_small.jpg

Google is your Friend for queries such as this.

Kalimna
In most Plough planes the arms of the fence pass through the stock of the plane and, once you adjust the fence to the desired setting, is locked off with one of various methods (wedges, screws, threaded arms with locking nuts, etc..) On a Bridle Plough the arms are fixed to the body and the fence moves along them - the fence has circular cut-outs to match the arms and when locked off sits parallel to the stock.
Hope this makes sense,
Philly :D

Philly - thanks for the reply, and if im understanding it correctly in a normal plough, the arms are fixed to the fence, and in a bridle the arms are fixed to the body? Im afraid that, without knowing it at the time, I may have taken a left turn at Alburquerque (sp?) and ended up on 'the slope'..... All I have to do now is slip an order in underneath the everwatchful eyes of my wife :)

CHJ - Yep, I am quite aware of the wonder that is Googlishness, but I often find that getting an answer to a "Whats the difference between? Or why is it called this?" kinda question is much easier when you ask a person, not a computer.
For instance, neither the image nor the website it came from indicated what a bridle plough plane is. I knew what a plough was (including wooden ones), just unsure of the 'bridle' bit. But thanks for the suggestion :)

Cheers,
Adam

It's less that the arms are fixed in the body, but that the method of holding the setting is different. Instead of individual wedges or threaded nuts, one on each arm, both arms are bridged in one move with a metal bridle. Chris Schwarz's blog entry here gives not a bad explanation with pictures.

Kalimna":16fw7f4g said:
....... I knew what a plough was (including wooden ones), just unsure of the 'bridle' bit.

Cheers,
Adam

Not so deep in the "newbie corner" then, sorry if I sounded condescending, I read your post immediately after completing an lengthy on-line communication with someone who repeatedly resists doing a bit of research before shouting for help so was in a GOG frame of mind. :lol:

Alf - thanks for that, cleared things up a little more :)

CHJ - thanks too, and no need for apologies - not at all condescending, and not an unreasonable suggestion to use Google....
Though Im not sure what 'GOG' is, I think I get the gist!
Newbie Corner? If you have a look at the 'Not too fast dovetails....' thread, you will get an idea how much of a newbie I am. Talking the game and playing it aint the same!

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":11ejrhrx said:
Thirdly, that particular rosewood has a bit of EIR/sonokeling look to it, though not normally with quite such light tones. Mind you, it's not unlike palisander either.... Hmmm.....

Sonokeling is just the name for plantation grown Indian rosewood (Dalbergia latifolia). I used to go through pallet loads of this stuff in the late 1980's. It's quite diverse in it's colouring, ranging from dark browns and blacks to lighter tans, bright oranges, purples and greens and deep rich reds. In fact I would be hard pressed to think of a colour that wasn't found in this wood.

You'll often get mineral deposits of silica and other stuff trapped within the pores of the wood. I used to have to examine each piece (sometimes thousands of pieces at a time) and put aside any bits which had these deposits. Then I would machine these bits last as they would instantly blunt the carbon steel cutting edges (our foreman didn't believe in HSS at the time).

It's a great timber, but the dust can be an irritant.

I forgot to add that the planes are spectacular, Phil. Great work!

Back