Rosewood Fillister and Panel Raiser Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Just finished two planes for a customer and thought you might be interested in some photo's. The planes are a Moving Fillister plane for cutting rebates and the other a "Mini Panel Raiser" for making small raised panels. I usually make these planes from Beech but the customer was after something a little different - in the end he chose Rosewood. The Fillister has an insert of African Blackwood instead of the usual Boxwood.

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

f1.jpg

f2.jpg

f3.jpg

f4.jpg

The finish on both is oil topped off with shellac and a coat of paste wax. All the metalwork, including the irons and brasswork, are made from scratch, and the planes are made mainly by hand.

Hope you like,
Philly :D

luverly, I do fancy one of those moving Fillisters :wink:

I do wish you'd stop doing this Phil!
Trying to drink a cup of coffee whilst drooling is damned difficult!

Roy.

hi philly

lovely lovely work , as usual, mine if i ask do you make all the brass work your self as well, and what part of the world does the rosewood come from it has some nice colouring in it . hc 8) 8)

Pretty!!

I do believe that with a bit more practise it won't be too long before you get the hang of this plane-making malarky :D

Mike

A couple of things -

Firstly, what wonderful looking tools - something I aspire to own an use in my garage/workshop at some point :) I'm thinking a slab of macassar ebony would look rather nice....

Secondly, why is the plane called a 'moving fillister', and not just a rebate plane?

Thirdly, that particular rosewood has a bit of EIR/sonokeling look to it, though not normally with quite such light tones. Mind you, it's not unlike palisander either.... Hmmm.....

On that woody note, Philly, apart from your preferred beech, what woods do you feel make particularly good or bad planes? Im guessing not balsa or pine however :)

Cheers,

Adam (halfway through a purpleheart/maple round-bottom plane)

Thanks for your positive comments, Folks! :D

HC - yes, all the metalwork is made from scratch. Never used to enjoy the metal side of things but starting to get into it. The Rosewood came from a cabinetmaker that was retiring - Waka and I bought the lot off him. Not sure exactly what it is, but its lovely!

Adam - It's called a "Moving Fillister" because the fence can be adjusted to give different width rebates. There are also planes called "standing fillisters" which have a solid fence to give a set width rebate.
As for plane woods - any timber which has a close grain is usually good. And the denser the better. Traditionally Beech and Birch were used, with Box used for the occasional "top of the range" model.

Best regards,
Philly :D

Oh Come on, he called it a Moving Fillister just to be different an it also sounds a bit like Philly. Maybe he should have called it simple, The Phillister :lol:

Yum - and it'll work like a dream.
My phillister will be getting a good workout this weekend - but alas, I shall have to use a metal plough :(
:p

Back