Members can turn off viewing Ads!

ROS - How aggressive??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

This may be a little like "how long is a piece of string" but can anyone give me an indication of the difference in "aggressiveness" of a 5" ROS compared to a 6" ROS??

So far, the only comments I've seen are regarding the surface area of the pads and associated speed to sand a given surface area e.g. a table top.

I'm assuming that the 5" will be less aggressive due to its smaller radius meaning that the edges will move less quickly than on a 6" model. Also, most 5" ROS that I've looked at appear to have a 2 or 2.5mm orbit compared to the 6" versions that have 3 or 6mm orbits...

I notice most of the American magazine articles show 5" versions in use - is this because they are better for fine finishing??

Basically, I have some house doors to sand and am thinking that a 5" ROS would be best as the rails and stiles are about 4" wide and this may be too narrow for a 6" ROS - but as about half are painted will a 5" ROS be aggressive enough to shift this??

Cheers
Mike

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you mean 'aggressiveness' in terms of stock removal or holding onto it?.

For stock removal, bigger orbit = faster sanding, smaller orbit = finer finish, regardless of the pad diameter.

Bigger pad diameter will make it more forceful controlling the direction, but so too will a bigger orbit. A 6" sander has roughly 30% more sanding area, hence 30% more reaction force required of your muscles (+ the extra weight of the machine).

Ike

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm with Ike - the disc size has nothing to do with aggressiveness, it's the orbit size which dictates that. The bigger the disc the faster the machine can cover a given area. Another factor is how well braked the disc is (i.e. how limited the tendency is for the disc to spin freely) - personally I've found Festool to be the best. To avoid dubbing over get a machine from a manufacturer who can supply a "hard" backing pad - softer pads are more likely to dub the edges. One thing - you'll still need to get into the corners either by hand or with something like a Fein Multimaster

Scrit

ike

Established Member
Reaction score
Mike,
For stock removal as described, you need, like a 5mm orbit. Unless you already have a finishing sander, how about a dual orbit machine to give you the best of both?, to finish sand the doors as well.

Ike

Jake

Established Member
Reaction score
Stuff like removing paint is where the Rotex comes into its own, if you have the cash.