Using ROS for prepping metal surface for painting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
In have a design on paper for the biesmeyer table saw fence now and have ordered the metal bits for it. Hoping to do that over the Xmas break.

I have a 6" metabo ROS which I bought same time last year following the recommendations from people on this forum and haven't regretted it one bit.

Now, there will come a stage where i may need to clean and prep the surface of the metal of rust etc to get it ready for painting.

1. Would the fine metal powders from sanding wreck the sander?
2. Or accumulate a thick coat of it on the motor given the presence of magnets?
3. Any impact on hooking up a shop vac?
4. I use abranet discs for finishing wood projects, should I use the same on metal?
5. Or should I just use an angle grinder with a rust cleaning brush and a fine flap disc to finish it off?

If anyone has any experience in this, I would really like to hear about it.

1) No, using dust extraction.
2) No
3) No.
4) They will get dull quickly but no problem
5) If you want a flat surface the sander is best, if you just want a clean surface the flap disk is the fastest & I never bother with a cleaning brush. Also you should not get heavily rusted steel.

I have a Mirka pnumatic ROS. They're basically made for the auto world (ie paint, and filler, but also metal)

I'm guessing the electric ones are sensible enough to keep the motors out the way of things.

Back