Rootball No3: Critque welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mrs. sliver":vrjer1sv said:
BUT you DO know it ieasier to buy plastic 'wood effect' bowls out of Woolies don't you? :roll:
Resists temptation to press the "Report Post" Button :twisted:

Bodrighy":cdvotpcw said:
That's it Chas, never seen it in any manuals but it made sense at the time.

Pete

It's a very neat way of doing this, but 'fraid it's not original! The "old boys" using pole lathes used to make bowls in exactly that way before all the fancy chucks were invented.
(and no, I'm not <that> old, just feel old from time to time :? )

I have to ask Chas - in the picture you posted how on earth do you manage to get a bowl gouge down the inside wall and across the base of the bowl? From the image it looks as though there's no way that a gouge with a decent length handle would fit. Or am I missing something obvious?

Duncan

duncanh":1x8dvnd3 said:
I have to ask Chas - in the picture you posted how on earth do you manage to get a bowl gouge down the inside wall and across the base of the bowl? From the image it looks as though there's no way that a gouge with a decent length handle would fit. Or am I missing something obvious?

Duncan

I don't know how Chas does it but I have found that a 1/2" gouge with a 12" handle will easily cut down to about 6" and across the bottom. It does depend on the curve of the wall but if it is too steep to access a sharp round nose scraper taking very small cuts does the trick.

Pete

duncanh":3p0ssr0o said:

Duncan

I used a standard 3/8 Hamlet bowl gouge on that one, it was all I had at the time and round nosed scrapers.

I did adjust the tool rest so that it was as far in the bowl as possible to add support.

DSC01007.JPG

Finishing off when dried was easier for access because the centre support was removed and base dovetail socket was firm enough to hold the bowl for light cuts.

I hope that bowl was one of your early ones Chas. the inside is as rough as a bears a***. :lol: You must have used a scraper on it?

:lol: Yes it was a little feathery at that stage, but most of what you see is sawdust, did get a cleaner pass or two before it was dried out, was extremely wet from rain soak.

I think it was this one.
DSC01019.JPG

(5 months into turning)

Sorry Pete it seems we have hijacked you critique.

Latest posts

Back