roofing problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ciscoecuk,

No you do not cut the original rafters, as Mike G says, you put a lay board on top of them, then sit the jack rafters on the lay boards, and then the valley boards on top.

Regarding fibre glass valleys, I have been talking to two different roofers this morning, and both say that you can get away with a slight variation in pitches but not too much. Both much prefer lead, the beauty being it fits any shape. Being relatively short valleys you don't need that much.

Dennis

MickCheese":36y353k1 said:
Is that a walkway between your house and garage?

Why do you not just have an apex roof running the entire length?

It is the false roof at the front that seems to be giving you all the grief.

What about a picture from the front?

Mick

not sure the best way of joining the two ridges that what giving me the grief

yes theres a walk way!

phots from the front

DSC01164.jpg

DSC01165.jpg

i just founf a website with the basic layouts this is going to help me loads

http://www.tpub.com/content/engineering/14069/css/14069_216.htm

As I said, that bit is the easy bit......and don't even think about having a hipped other end to your roof as that drawng shows!! That really would make your brain hurt!!!

So my final word on the matter........if you are going to tackle this as a novice alone, then reduce the ridge height and do lead valleys. If you get some help from an experienced guy, fair enough to have equal ridge heights and take the opportunity to use cheaper fibreglass valleys.

Mike

thanks mike

i going to take your advice and get an experianced guy to help me
as i need to make the ridges equal, this is a request from my neibour,

first i going to check into planning rules first, just to be safe, submit my sketches and photos to the planning officer

i looked at the hip roof but came to the conclusion, that will cut too much storage space out of the roof, this is going to be my wood store after all!

i will build up the gable end in brick, but i got to find a match, built garden walls before!

i will start with the ridge and gable end then extend the exsting brick following the roof pitch, and the rest will fall into place, (whos kidding who)

if a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly

thanks for all the advice i will post agin with pics, once i start the project

ciscoeuk":2apcn8vg said:
thanks mike

i going to take your advice and get an experianced guy to help me
as i need to make the ridges equal, this is a request from my neibour,

first i going to check into planning rules first, just to be safe, submit my sketches and photos to the planning officer

i looked at the hip roof but came to the conclusion, that will cut too much storage space out of the roof, this is going to be my wood store after all!

i will build up the gable end in brick, but i got to find a match, built garden walls before!

i will start with the ridge and gable end then extend the exsting brick following the roof pitch, and the rest will fall into place, (whos kidding who)

if a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly

thanks for all the advice i will post agin with pics, once i start the project

Sounds like the right decision has been made maximum storage space and something thats looks right good luck with the alteration

johnf":8r4vjs8j said:
Sounds like the right decision has been made maximum storage space and something thats looks right good luck with the alteration

thanks john

if i get stuck i will come back and ask for further advice

thnks all

ric

hi mate im only bout 30 mins from you most weekends and have been a site carpenter for 26 years so this would be an easy project, so if you want can arrange to call over and go through it with you if you like

markwuzere":3a6uqi7l said:
hi mate im only bout 30 mins from you most weekends and have been a site carpenter for 26 years so this would be an easy project, so if you want can arrange to call over and go through it with you if you like

mark that would be outstanding send me a pm i will send you my details

i am available most days as i am out of work, all help greatly appreciated

all the best

richard

Latest posts

Back