Roof ventilation

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morfa

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some general DIY advice around roof ventilation.

When we moved into our current Victorial terrace, we had a gap in the roofspace through to our neighbour (we're an end terrace) and a condition of the mortgage was that this was blocked up. This really screwed with the ventilation in the roof and we had really bad condensation as a result. After a chat with our builder he suggested putting a few vent tiles on the roof. We did and it has improved things a bit, but not completely fixed them.

After a bit of looking around, I came across these plastic inserts which you can put in the membrane to improve ventilation:

http://www.aboutroofing.com/manthorpe-g ... lator.html

I installed 10 of them and it's made a slight improvement. But I've since done some more reading and apparently putting such things to make gaps in the membrane can be a really bad idea. So when looking for a solution to vent our bathroom fan externally, I came across this lapvent kit:

http://amzn.eu/fHp7cuM more details here - http://www.lapvent.co.uk/index.html

Would I be better off removing the plastic inserts and using a number of lapvents?

Can I use the lapvent to vent the bathroom fan (currently just vents into the loft, which isn't ideal...)?

Are the small plastic inserts ok? Or should I remove them all?

I'm happy to pay a roofer some money to come along and install a full set of soffit and ridge vents if that's what's needed. But if I can DIY (with the lapvents) then I'm quite happy to do that as well. Normally folk on here are excellent for advice, hence me asking.

I would minimise the source of the moist air as a priority.

If you have a bathroom vent discharging into the roof space that will be loading the roof space with moist air -I would get this redirected through the roof

Do you have the loft well insulated at ceiling joist level? If you have insulation is it correctly detailed at the eaves? -if there is ventilation through soffits or cavity then these should still be able to circulate.

Does your water tank have a lid?

I have turned the bathroom fan off, so it's not pushing air out. But I'd imagine some is coming through.

No cold water tank.

Lots of insulation (which I put down) but I've left a decent gap at the edges as I'm aware that you need to ensure ventilation there.

Hi - If it were me I would do everything possible to prevent warm, moisture-bearing air, rising (by convection or being blown!) into the roof space. I strongly suspect that ALL the damp problems are due to this. I would:

1) Urgently seek to re-direct all forced ventilation outside the building envelope (core-drilling a hole in the wall if necessary - there are a lot of traps for the unwary if you start interfering with roof coverings).

2) Think about air-tight sealing (e.g. with expanding foam, or foam strips) all penetrations through the ceiling (for wiring/pipework) and the loft door _ BUT - ensuring that there is proper eaves ventilation (not impeded by insulation) as well as at the ridge - so you can get proper cross-ventilation of the roof space.

3) Make sure that any water tank has no insulation under it and that all pipework is lagged (this serves two purposes - reducing/preventing condensation on the pipes as well as helping to avoid frost damage)

Cheers, W2S

Re the bathroom fan - ours is a simple design that's easy for diy installation. A 100mm hole in the ceiling with a plastic insert and grille. Behind that a length of flexible hose to the fan, screwed to a joist, then another length of hose to a similar vent fixed in the eaves soffit. This outlet is not one big hole, it's a grid of 25mm holes, which means it was easy to drill from the outside, up a ladder.

No need for big core drill through the wall or a glazier to cut a hole in the window glass.

You definitely don't want that moist air venting into the loft. Something like I've described could be part of your improvements.

Back