Rocking Chair....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, I've been talking about this on and off to several forum members for at least a year or two. But I've always said it be 3 years or so to finish. 1 year planning, 1 year moving house + new workshop, 1 year to build....

Anyway, I'll start with some thanks for Waterhead for accompanying me to the saw yard and providing oodles of advice. Not only has he been and bought at several sawmills, having built this exact chair, he was a hive of infromation about choosing the best grain, the best boards, the best layout. Thankyou.

So... heres what I'm planning to build.... (copied from Hals website)

perdue%201%20rocker.jpg

I'm using plans (first time ever), which I got from Hal Taylor

http://www.haltaylor.com

Anyway.....

73192679.jpg

I've decided on sycamore, and am searching out some planks....

73192680.jpg

Getting some help, these are heavy!

73192681.jpg

Getting out the readies!!! A fully featured article will be coming shortly in a magazine shop near you (cough - plug).

73192678.jpg

Whaa hoo, pleased I don't have to change this bandsaw blade too often ;)

Right..... skip many months.... into the "temporary workshop".....

73192670.jpg

I'm using a..... electric planer!

This stuff is thick, and I need to see the grain to place all the templates. It was supposed to be 63mm, but is quite generously over. So I don't feel bad wasting it through the electric planer.

73192671.jpg

73192672.jpg

Works a treat, the grain is visible. You don't need to clean off every last bit.

All stop now, whilst I get the templates ready...

73192673.jpg

There is going to be some nice grain in this board, shame its at the end. I can see the rays shining already, (sorry not the best shot).

73192674.jpg

Spray mounting the paper templates

73192675.jpg

Stick them to some 6mm ply. Decent stuff, I don't want any voids.

73192676.jpg

A few templates ready for cutting and sanding on the bandsaw.

73192677.jpg

Don't hold your breath for installments, it'll be months before I have anything else. Still, its nice to be woodworking again, just the small issue of building a workshop acting as a bit of a natural brake on progress at the moment.

Adam

Looks like an exciting project, Adam!
Can't believe you cheated and bought the plans :wink: :lol:
Look forward to seeing it come together,
Philly :D

Never mind cheating and buying the plans - what about using the electric planer?! :shock: And without safety gear, you naughty man. [-X

Must admit I thought you were going to get the new workshop all squared off before you started, but I'm glad we won't have to wait. :D Where'd you get the Sycamore? Or have I got to start buying blasted mags again to find out. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Philly":w133ruuj said:
Can't believe you cheated and bought the plans :wink: :lol:

Yeah who could imagine there might be people out their stupid enough to make Maloof style chairs without a set of plans.

Adam :lol:

Excellant Adam.

I'm sure you'll do an excellant job. Quite a project to christen the new workshop with.

Andy

Lovely, Good Luck Adam

I have seen Chris's chair in the flesh and it is truly awe-inspiring! In fact, the missus has also seen it and has been nagging me to make one. Not quite up to that level of expertise yet!

Can't wait to see it progress.

looking forward to the installments as the adventure continues Aam.

the wood looks pretty good to me - where did you get it in the end?

That is going to be an interesting project, Adam. I often have a look at Chris' website and the one he built - it's a really nice chair 8)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Rocking chairs are great fun both to make and use! Can I offer my experience of my first rocking chair? I made it at the end of my college course, in a bit of a rush because time was limited - one week! Although I had a design sorted out, I had no idea about the form /angle of the rockers. The net result was that all was well apart from the rockers which were too low at the front and the chair had a tendancy to settle nose down - just enough to be annoying! I have been associated with several other chairs since then and each time a full size mock up has been made so that one can sit in the chair and get the rocker curve/shape and angle sorted (any old scraps of wood will do - even an old chair will form the basis). Even a commercial design may not give you the ideal shape and motion and it is so easy to tailor a chair to your requirements.

Bob

GCR":3b54xegy said:
I had no idea about the form /angle of the rockers. The net result was that all was well apart from the rockers which were too low at the front and the chair had a tendancy to settle nose down

I'm doing it all from plans, and you get the option to slip a few strips in just before you screw the rockers on to find the perfect balance point. But fairly much thats just fine tuning. The main angles are set by the design.

One week BTW?

Adam

In those days I was organised! (And I got a move on) Turned legs, drop in seat (which was not completed in the week), all in waxed cherry.

Bob

Boy, you do need a oscillating sander for some of those curves in the templates...

I'm multi-tasking with building the workshop... (see the other active thread). You can see all the parts piled up on the workbench....

Heres all the templates complete..

74038602.jpg

Choosing the best positions....

74038601.jpg

Heres the magazine picture...

74038603.jpg

And how it really was...

Spot the difference (and the blade is runing in this shot)

74038604.jpg

And heres why.....

74038605.jpg

Trimmed a bit to come indoors..

74038608.jpg

Where every good woodworker keeps his timber - indoors!

74038611.jpg

Adam

This piece is just too big - both to maneuvre onto the saw - or really for me to lift. So.... I must be nuts... but there we go.

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

medium.jpg

Tsk. No proper rip saw? Deary me. [-( Too short and too many teeth, musta taken some effort; I notice there's no picture of you afterwards.... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Is it true they are called "Jet Cut" because they feel like the last owner used it to cut an aeroplane in half........? :wink: :lol:
Looks like a real workout, Adam!
Do you have a drum sander? If not you can buy small ones for your drill press.
Cheers

Alf":3894j3tf said:
Tsk. No proper rip saw? Deary me. [-( Too short and too many teeth, musta taken some effort; I notice there's no picture of you afterwards.... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

No. Fortunately, thats the only 1 that needed to be rip cut like that. The other planks I managed to cross cut first on the TS, so not as bad. I gave up for the evening after finishing that cut.

Adam

Back