Robot assisted carpentry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silly_Billy

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought this could be of interest:

MIT's robotic carpenters take the hassle out of custom furniture

"If you want to build custom furniture, you usually need to know your way around a saw and devote days to both designing it and cutting every last piece. MIT's CSAIL might have a better solution: let computers and robots do the hard work. Its researchers have developed an AutoSaw system that makes it easy to craft furniture without the risk of cutting your fingers. You start on your computer by customizing furniture templates in OnShape's simple CAD system. After that, modified robots (a Roomba for a jigsaw, Kuka youBots for chopping) cut the individual parts. You still have to assemble it yourself, but the software will guide you through the process.

AutoSaw is currently limited to common household items like chairs, desks and tables. However, the hope is that it'll eventually be useful for porches and other larger-scale projects. CSAIL also wants to incorporate tasks beyond cutting, such as drilling and gluing.

The aim is to democratize custom furniture building. Yes, you could use CNC machines, but they're typically gargantuan, fixed devices that limit the size and shape of what you can cut. And that's assuming you have access to them in the first place. This approach provides much more flexibility, and might even let you cut parts at home if the cost of the robots can be kept in check. If a pre-built table wouldn't quite fit in your kitchen, you could design one yourself after a quick trip to the lumber store."

No, no interest. It's one kind of machine vs another, neither of which can do what we do, never mind the cost of it all.

Also, that picture captioned 'Jason Dorfman' doesn't even look like a bloke....!!

I work with robots at work (electronics manufacturing) and the MIT example is the exact sort of use of a robot that leads to a poorer quality than a human: just duplicating human actions rather than looking for systematic optimisations.

This is a good example of use of a robot in woodwork that a human would struggle with: matching complex shapes. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h_froDIk9KU

Alpha-Dave":c7mssnhg said:
I work with robots at work (electronics manufacturing) and the MIT example is the exact sort of use of a robot that leads to a poorer quality than a human: just duplicating human actions rather than looking for systematic optimisations.

Couldn't agree more.

As a society we confuse robotics and anthropomorphic machines.

Don't get me started on the whole human shaped robots and AI thing either.

That's very creepy watching them carry the planks up to the chop saw.

Fast forward a few years and it will be humans getting carried towards a giant saw!!

stuartpaul":pw4nrp0z said:
Can somebody tell me wtf ‘democratize custom furniture building’ means?

Bringing the ability to do custom furniture making to everyone.

Alpha-Dave":30rvos4e said:
This is a good example of use of a robot in woodwork that a human would struggle with: matching complex shapes.
I can't wait for the Paul Sellers video where he laments the drop in quality from the newer Irwin Kuka machines, but points out that you can still get original ABBs and Fanucs and Kukas on eBay for under £200,000... at which point they'll then soar in value, prompting the Poor Man's Manipulator build videos and he'll show how crasftmen used to make their own from old Hi-Ab and Mul-T-Lift trucks...

Brandlin":jc8oi8ks said:
stuartpaul":jc8oi8ks said:
Can somebody tell me wtf ‘democratize custom furniture building’ means?

Bringing the ability to do custom furniture making to everyone.
All you have to do is buy a robot and some machinery .....

I can see the threads now as users ask 'what robot is best' :D

Just to be clear from my perspective, - I think it's bow locks!

It is certain that robots, coupled with the necessary control systems will continue to develop and take over many more things that we consider humans to be best at.

However those robots will not be anthropomorphic. Its a highly inefficient and ineffective design. Its FAR easier to adust the work and the job and to design a simpler machine that out performs a human in almost every respect.

The popular conception that "Robot" = "human shaped, generalist machine with advanced AI" is misleading at best.

There are very few jobs for which designing a robot that looks and behaves human in an unmodified human environment is necessary or preferable.

Brandlin":2d682zhv said:
There are very few jobs for which designing a robot that looks and behaves human in an unmodified human environment is necessary or preferable.

West World buddy ... West World

transatlantic":wpukyim9 said:
Brandlin":wpukyim9 said:

West World buddy ... West World
:D :D :D

Brandlin":1vhau1qb said:
Political leadership?
Behind the counter at Boots?

Latest posts

Back