Robinson Hall

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
I am trying to track down information on tool maker Robinson Hall. All I know at this stage was that he was an early manufacturer of woodworking hand tools such as chisels, marking gauges, bevels, and so on. His tools were commonly stamped or marked: Robinson Hall, Sheffield, and a Thistle emblem, indicating he was probably of Scottish descent. Any help would be appreciated.

swagman.

I think you will find Robinson Hall Ltd is a modern company; was registered 04/04/1942 and located at:

DURACUT WORKS
NEWCASTLE ST
SHEFFIELD S1 4EF

No longer exists I suspect, I have one of their marking gauges which I considered to be a late 20th century very ordinary quality product.

Cheers
Peter

It might be worth aiming your research at the bigger companies such as Rabone and Chesterman and Record etc. During the 50's a huge number of the traditional and newer marking tool and planemaking companies were absorbed into large competitors, as the the woodworking trades became more mechanised and the market contracted. I would of thought that it would of been bought out by C.J Hampton/Record, as was sadly Edward Preston.
The Sheffield trade directories should give you an idea of the period of trading. I've got several pieces of Robinson Hall, mostly from my Grandfather who was an RAF carpenter building airframes during the war. Most of the stuff i've seen has a utility feel to it, reminiscent of the ropey later Marples tools. It was all made to a very tight price and as has been mentioned, was probably aimed at the price conscious jobbing chippy, rather than the gents market like Jo Marples or Henley optical co.

Might be worth emailing some of the more experienced guys, such as David Stanley auctions, Andy at inchmartine toolbazaar tools or perhaps the early tool trades society (google taths), to see if they can shed any light or atleast point you in the right direction. Mr Marples at Joseph Marples tools is a friendly chap and has a family history that spans many years in the Sheffield market. He could have some personal recollections having been connected so closely with the same trade.
best of luck with the hunt, Nick.

NickUrquhart":284fj496 said:
It might be worth aiming your research at the bigger companies such as Rabone and Chesterman and Record etc. During the 50's a huge number of the traditional and newer marking tool and planemaking companies were absorbed into large competitors, as the the woodworking trades became more mechanised and the market contracted. I would of thought that it would of been bought out by C.J Hampton/Record, as was sadly Edward Preston.
The Sheffield trade directories should give you an idea of the period of trading. I've got several pieces of Robinson Hall, mostly from my Grandfather who was an RAF carpenter building airframes during the war. Most of the stuff i've seen has a utility feel to it, reminiscent of the ropey later Marples tools. It was all made to a very tight price and as has been mentioned, was probably aimed at the price conscious jobbing chippy, rather than the gents market like Jo Marples or Henley optical co.

Might be worth emailing some of the more experienced guys, such as David Stanley auctions, Andy at inchmartine toolbazaar tools or perhaps the early tool trades society (google taths), to see if they can shed any light or atleast point you in the right direction. Mr Marples at Joseph Marples tools is a friendly chap and has a family history that spans many years in the Sheffield market. He could have some personal recollections having been connected so closely with the same trade.
best of luck with the hunt, Nick.

Thanks Nick. You offered some useful leads. Cheers

Peter Evans":2xwg40ye said:
I think you will find Robinson Hall Ltd is a modern company; was registered 04/04/1942 and located at:

DURACUT WORKS
NEWCASTLE ST
SHEFFIELD S1 4EF

No longer exists I suspect, I have one of their marking gauges which I considered to be a late 20th century very ordinary quality product.

Cheers
Peter

Thanks Peter.

Back