RIP Steve Jobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cegidfa":2wi3p91j said:
Definition of HiFi...the shortest route to bancruptcy known to man - far more efficient than the banking system.
Regards...Dick.

You should try sailing, it has been described as standing in the shower, ripping up 50 pound notes!

I am also into Hi-Fi, still have a fair bit of Naim but make my own stuff mostly now. I am a little confused about your term, "playing the mains". I have not heard of this before and have many friends and online acquaintances who have Naim stuff as well. Do you mean a mains hum, more likely to be an earth loop, Naim stuff is designed to have a very precise ground management with the source providing the only signal ground and all other equipment linking to that. The disadvantage with this is if the source is not adequately grounded then the ground is not tied down and "floats" and this can cause buzzes or hums. Equally if multiple pieces of equipment are grounded as well, the ground can act as an antenna and put noise in the system.

BTW I am not referring to the safety earth but the signal ground which is linked to the Earth but only at the source as described above.

Harbo":2tb8mp3v said:
We are going way off Topic now, but here's a link about Mains Noise:

http://www.aelgroup.co.uk/pdf/wp_hifi.pdf

Rod
Much as I respected Mr Job's achievements and enjoyed what he bought to some of my 'life experiences', his time is up as everyone's is and we have paid respects.

Time to get on with our own lives and that includes interesting stuff like mains cleaners :D

Any thoughts on using passive pre-amps with Valves amps? I keep changing back and forth. Sometimes preferring the dynamic punch with active and sometimes the smoother (probably less treble) approach of the passive. So what is 'correct' I wonder :? Maybe my ears just change day to day or maybe its the mains quality!

We've got a new mains cleaner, Electrolux, and it is very very quiet too 8) 8)

Geting back on thread. Here is a site that describes what SJ had and lots of interesting bits about 'conventional' and 'alternative' medicine

Time to get on with our own lives and that includes interesting stuff like mains cleaners :D

I don't agree with a lot of what Mercola says, but for me this is different.

Jonzjob":e2k0yjhx said:
We've got a new mains cleaner, Electrolux, and it is very very quiet too 8) 8)

Geting back on thread. Here is a site that describes what SJ had and lots of interesting bits about 'conventional' and 'alternative' medicine

I don't agree with a lot of what Mercola says, but for me this is different.
er..... where's that then?

Thats a very interesting link

"Many of his pancreatic cancer patients are still alive and well today, having survived up to 20 years"

Jonzjob":3hmvgx43 said:

Strange that there doesn't seem to be a single case where the patient has come out and confirmed that they have had successful treatment. I would have thought that there would at least be one who was grateful enough for an extension to their life who would be willing to confirm the details.

Just seems like another magic potion seller to me. Who really knows?

Given Steve Job's beliefs and virtually limitless wealth, I would have expected him to investigate every option, including the less likely. If there was proof, I'm sure he would have found it.

Hello Gareth, (cutting42)
Ahh, now yachting is another matter, unless you stick to dinghies. Mind you, hifi can easily cost £150,000 :twisted:

As I now have Meridian, does the same precept still apply?
What I mean by 'playing the mains' is that in our old house, when the washing machine ramped up on spin, this would be noticeable in the hum made by the power amp.
We aren't suffering this in the new house, but we do get a hum that can get louder at times. We did some investigation yesterday, and found that one of the sockets had a faulty switch, so both double sockets have been replaced. The hum is coming from the transformers, even when nothing else is plugged in. The noise level slightly increases when playing music, but can't be heard from the sitting position. I have the 558 (five channel 200w/channel) power amp that weighs in at 50kg, so I suppose that a trannie supplying a 1000w max could not be expected to be silent :)
As a matter of interest, how would one get over the 'ground' problem, as both the Naim and now the Meridian were connected in the manner approved by the manufacturers?

Thanks for your help.

Hello Rod, (Harbo)

Thanks for the link. Having done some research, many manufacturers of hifi equipment now make filters as well. Things have moved on since my last bout of 'setting fire to £50 notes' as Gareth described it :) We looked at the receipt, and it is ten years ago. That means that we have 'only' had three hifi units since the early '70's; and I still have the Quad, which was the kitchen hifi, paired with Rogers LS34A speakers, and linked to the 'main hifi' for input.

Regards...Dick.

I have not bought any hi-fi for several years now.
My main system is EAR-Yoshino 834P Pre-amp and Single Ended 859 Amp, fed by a then upgraded Linn Sondek LP12 with Origin Live Illustrious Arm (which replaced my Ekos arm) and Koetsu Urushi Black cartridge.
Tuner - Leak Troughline modified by Tim De Pavaranci with his stereo decoder. Enormous Galaxy aerial in the loft!
Sadly, as I have been squeezed out by other forms of entertainment to a smaller room, my speakers are Heybrook Quartets.

Also have a pair of restored Leak TL12's (sold a Stereo 20) and full original Quad 22 setup.

In the garage reside pairs of quad Electrostatics, Leak Sandwich and Lowther Acoustas.

Oh and a few thousand black shiny discs!

Rod

Steve Jobs gone. Bob Hope a bit ago, and Johnny Cash!
So that's no jobs, no cash and no hope!

Hi Rod,

I had to resort to looking up your equipment, as the names were not familiar :oops:
I am afraid that the invention of the CD killed the vinyl reverence for me. I always treated my records with utmost care, but still I could hear the background noise.
Not to mention being able to listen to a whole recording without having to turn it over, clean the disc, and retire to my chair....too much hassle. But, I do miss holding the cover and being able to read the sleeve notes without the aid of an electron microscope :)
I don't know if you have the garden space, but had you considered building a 'hifi shed'. My current workshop build would be grand, and has better proportions than the living room :? To have Quad electrostatics - unused, does seem a terrible waste......Can I tempt you to a hifi shed WIP? :lol:

Regards...Dick.

Harbo":8aldmzq1 said:
I have not bought any hi-fi for several years now.
My main system is EAR-Yoshino 834P Pre-amp and Single Ended 859 Amp, fed by a then upgraded Linn Sondek LP12 with Origin Live Illustrious Arm (which replaced my Ekos arm) and Koetsu Urushi Black cartridge.
Tuner - Leak Troughline modified by Tim De Pavaranci with his stereo decoder. Enormous Galaxy aerial in the loft!
Sadly, as I have been squeezed out by other forms of entertainment to a smaller room, my speakers are Heybrook Quartets.
Rod

Great bloke Tim and I really like his equipment (er... hi-fi that is). I too have his tuner plus the usual Quad FM3 and FM4 but they are sitting unused because the signal is rubbish out here and so is the content apart from one or two classical stations.

I used the Quads in a room about 10 x 8 feet before I came out here and they were fine. I think the stuff about ESLs and small rooms is overstated. I would rather have them working at 80% than nearly every other speaker I've heard at 100%

Mind you, out here my problems are more to do with echo :lol: Space, the final frontier. When I (if?) finish the lounge, the ceiling will be 7.5 metres away with an additional mezzanine section for the library. All the books might damp it down a bit.

Latest posts

Back