Very Sad News

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droogs

Not the Sharpest Moderator in the box
Reaction score
Just found out, from LAP email that David Savage died on Friday 18th Jan. I for one was deeply saddened by the news and will regard it as a major regret that I was unable to attend one of his excellent courses. I have read his writings through his emails for years and the man knew what he wanted to say and indeed had a lot to say about our favourite past-time. I have been looking forward to getting his new book and now especially more so. My deepest and heartfelt condolences go to his family and I wish them well and hope that they know he brought a lot of joy to many people and I for one will miss him and his advise.

Below is the text of Chris Schwarz (I hope he doesn't mind it being re-printed here)

David Binnington Savage died on Friday, Jan. 18, after a hard-fought battle with cancer. David was an artist, writer, furniture maker and designer, and a father figure to me

“Reluctant to give in, he fought to the end, and continued to talk of Rowden (his workshop and school),” his wife, Carol, wrote to me in an email. “A true artist to the core, he was even inspired by the new spring growth outside his window to draw a design in his notebook just days before passing.”

You can read more about David’s life and work in this profile by Kara Gebhart.

— Christopher Schwarz

That is very sad news. I did two courses with him a few years ago - one of life’s great characters and so passionate about furniture design and making.

I made a clock once, where the bevel edge of the supporting arm changed from a positive angle to a negative angle along its length. I copied that straight off a ribbon table he showcased in Good Woodworking. We were both contributors at the time.
I loved his work, I thought it was inspirational.
I only met him once, and thought him quite aloof, but later, when I recounted this to Pete Martin (also sadly missed and gone far too young), he told me that David was simply very shy.
I'm very saddened to hear he is gone.

Oh that's so sad. I spent a year in his workshop back in 1988 and he was and remained so passionate about design, furniture and quality.

Thoughts to his family and friends

Back