RIP OFF DVDS ON EBAY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulloseby

Reaction score
The other day I bought item 320645041867 off ebay. It was described as 'LEARN WOODTURNING DVD Fine Woodworking DVD Workshop' and mentioned, but but didn't name, an acclaimed international woodturner.

Just to let you know that this is an extremely poor copy of the Turning Wood dvd of Richard Raffan's and published by Taunton Press. Although it only cost £3.40 the quality is really poor. I do have the seller's details and have passed these on to Taunton Press and Richard Raffan.

I have no doubt that almost all of us have had illegal dvds at some time or another but to sell them (in quantity) on ebay, I don't think is on.

I don't know the laws concerned in naming and shaming so I will hold back on that for now but he is a foreign 'gentleman' living in Derby

Regards
Paul

I brought a Taunton DVD off Axi and had a right go at aximinster as I thought it was a pirate copy. Are you sure its a copy? Mine was that good I could have done it myself better, even the disc was surface was of a purple colour that indicates the disc's are just the type you put up from a PC shop. Aximinster had a look through there stock for me and confirmed there all the same.

If you are saying this is an infringing copy of someone else's commercially issued DVD then you really ought to report it to ebay as well.

There are loads of them available, just look for making a scoop as one of the chapters in the description, they are all Raffan DVD's under different titles, how long does the copywrite last?
Chris.

In UK, generally copyright lasts 70 years from the year the originator dies.

I did report it to ebay and Richard Raffan. It is definitely a copy as it is on a printable dvd with a few bowls on and just the words 'Woodturning Tutorial'.

As I say, we have all borrowed dvds and possibly even made copies but this chap was saying that he has already sold 8 and had 10 for sale. I think it's a bit of a cheek to sell them on ebay. I do have a genuine dvd of RR's and the quality is poor and may be a Taunton Press copy from video onto dvd.

Kindest regards

Paul

Paul,

I have looked at some of the instructional DVDs on eBay. I got as far as asking some of the sellers the names of the instructors on the DVDs. Fortunately (for me) they declined to tell me who the instructors were, so I decided not to make any purchases. I guess I was just lucky!!

Regards,

Mike

AndyT":2bv3vcv9 said:

I have in the last month looked into copyrighting a design :? I can copyright for either 5 or 10yrs initially

yellowbelly":1pfj5dtj said:
AndyT":1pfj5dtj said:

I have in the last month looked into copyrighting a design :? I can copyright for either 5 or 10yrs initially

Let's not go over old ground again - I said generally and was talking about copyright. Design right is different.

Lots more info at the IPO website here: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

Back