Rip off B&Q

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duncanh

Established Member
Reaction score
I knew B&Q were more expensive than most places but I didn't quite realise how much until this morning.

Yesterday I bought various nuts, lock nuts and wing nuts for making a jig for my lathe. When I remembered that Screwfix had opened a branch about 5 minutes drive from B&Q I returned what I had bought and went there instead...

_Item_ _B&Q_ _Screwfix_
M10 wing-nut £1.30 for 4 £1.70 for 10
M10 nylon lock nut £1.30 for 2 35p for 10
M12 nut £1.30each 37p each(in a bag of 100)
M12 nylon lock nut £1.30each 5p each(in a bag of 10)

So for spending something like £12 less at Screwfix I ended up with enough for this project and at least one or two others.

Duncan

I'm not denying it - But seems to me you spent more in Screwfix than in B&Q. Thinking about it from their "typical" customer....

Why would a hobby DIYer want 100 nuts? When he could buy them individually at B&Q and save the difference and not drop the 96 he doesn't want in the bin?

Just playing devils advocate for a moment..... :lol:

Adam

Sorry for the confusion - I needed 8 of the M12 lock nuts (£10.40 total), and 4 M12 nuts(£5.20 total). So I did spend less and end up with more :)
I just put down the single prices for comparison.
And I just noticed that the bag of 100 should have been 10 (the 100 was for something else I bought).

Hmmm.... I usually buy larger quantities of hardware. I figure I'll need the same size again someday. I just got an order of stainless steel woodscrews in. Most sizes were in quantities of 500. At the local hardware store I might get bolts or nuts at say, 13 cents a piece. A box of 100 might go for $3.95. Kind of hard to justify buying 10 when the price for 100 is so much lower.

I'm amazed there was anyone left who did not realise this.

I ordered x 100 25mm coachscrews from screwfix yesterday - just over a quid.
Was in B&Q in the evening - with SWMBO buying a "patio set" - good quality & half price of garden centre.

As a matter of interest I strolled down to fixings - same screws were 15p each.

I met someone I knew there, looking at coach bolts -god knows how much they were.

Told him to put them back & follow me home - gave him a hand full from a screwfix box I bought when building my workshop -he couldn't believe I bought the box full for £2 - anyway I'll do that send a mate a catalogue & hopefully there will be a £10 voucher in it for me when he gets the screwfix bug.

Latest posts

Back