Colron stains from B&Q and other moans!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
are now complete rubbish. Its been ages since i bought one as I always hated the colours but now these stains are water based not oil based and as a consequence have no depth of colour whatsoever. I bought Jacobean Oak tonight but its more like light oak. I knew retailers had to remove solvents from their products and I sensed what I bought tonight would be compromised as its showing low fumes level on the tin. Nowhere on the tin is it mentioned what the solvent of the stain is - hardly surprising as its........ water. Nearly £9 for a small tin, I opened it broke the seal used it, stuck the top back on and returned it for a refund telling them its not fit for purpose and yes I got refunded and they just stuck it back on the shelf broken seal and all.....

Joe Public is being completely ripped off by these robbing barstewards selling rubbish products. A bit like the 20L tub of Dulux white emulsion form B&Q I bought that needed 4 coats to cover properly. B&Q are the Tesco of the DIY retailing world, taking customers for mugs and forever pushing the bounderies. To cap it all would you believe you can no longer buy a 100% pure bristle paint brush from these clowns!

Vote with your feet.
I never go near the sheds after a string of similar experiences of own brand stuff being utter toilet.

I try and avoid B & Q at all costs and as for Tesco's, I wouldn't give them a single penny.

I empathise. Took me some effort to obtain solvent based Colron wood stain - but, sorry, not Jacobean Oak - and also proper paint brush restorer i.e. stuff that cleans paint of cruddy brushes, and traditional Creosote that soaks in and preserves wood, rather than leaves a think surface film of 'paint' that starts flaking off after a few months.

On the positive side I've found Wickes own brand white matt emulsion to be good - at least as good as some 'Little Greene' white emulsion (at 3 times the cost) I bought as a trial, having had good results with their coloured emulsions.

where did you get the brush restorer from Mike? I agree that the new stuff is useless.

marcros":2iaae6g8 said:
where did you get the brush restorer from Mike? I agree that the new stuff is useless.

Via that well known online auction site. My purchase history no longer shows the seller but a search for 'Everbuild Brush Restorer' shows other sellers of what looks like the same product. It should not be confused with B&Qs Brush Restorer - which i naively bought - which is tinted white spirit and useless at restoring brushes with dried on paint!

Ah yes wood stains that are nowhere near the colour you expect or even a match to the "example" colour on the tin.
I recently bought some red cedar stain which was indeed......er red, very red with a touch of pink and nothing near the colour you expect to be red cedar.
And then there was another from a different manufacturer and store I bought that was light oak.......er but when applied looks more like a dark antique pine stain to me!
Oh dear.

the funny thing was when I bought the stain was that the wood samples on the edge of the shelf in the store that show the stain colours showed jacobean oak as a very anaemic light oak colour. I thought the sample board was old and that colours had faded but of course that was their accurate colour for jacobean oak!

perhaps I should have a go with trades descriptions - basically selling this stuff as labelled is deception....I mean if you went to halfords and bought a can of black spray paint got it home and found it was beige you'd have slight grounds for a complaint :roll:

Mike.S":im35qz2v said:
marcros":im35qz2v said:

Via that well known online auction site. My purchase history no longer shows the seller but a search for 'Everbuild Brush Restorer' shows other sellers of what looks like the same product. It should not be confused with B&Qs Brush Restorer - which i naively bought - which is tinted white spirit and useless at restoring brushes with dried on paint!

Toolstation sell that Everbuild brush restorer, it's just over £4 a bottle if memory serves.

and now BQ dont stock branded Araldite :roll:

so I want to glue something critical for strength up - am I going to trust B and Q own make Diall brand when I buy their glue? NO. I went and paid £2 more elsewhere for the real thing....

Back