RIP little blue Bosch......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
In Memoriam: Bosch GSR 9.6V - b. 1996 - d. 2006

It is with great sadness that I must report the sad loss of my venerable blue Bosch GSR 9.6V cordless drill/driver. A faithful and unstinting servant servant for some ten years now it passed away suddenly and unexpectedly whilst at work on Thursday afternoon last. Just a blue flash, a small puff of smoke and it was dead...... RIP

GSR.jpg

My biggest problem is what to replace it with. I fancy a Bosch GSR10.8V-Li screwdriver for the task of running screws as it is extremely lightweight and very small whilst the task of drilling will (in the shoprt term at least) fall to another Bosch cordless drill/driver. Anyone bought the little Bosch and able to comment?

Scrit

I recently lost a dewalt in a very similar death, my sympathies, god bless them, but remember it was a quick passing,i'm sure they didn't feel a thing.

P.S did they have donor cards, my dewalts heart is still beating in a younger member of the team.

Scrit":3jnkb1n7 said:
My biggest problem is what to replace it with. I fancy a Bosch GSR10.8V-Li screwdriver for the task of running screws as it is extremely lightweight and very small whilst the task of drilling will (in the short term at least) fall to another Bosch cordless drill/driver. Anyone bought the little Bosch and able to comment?
I bought the little Lithium-powered Bosch at the D & M Tools show last year, so its had a bit of use now.

It's great for fitting cabinets - especially narrow doors and those difficult-to-get-at screws in the far corner of a 1000mm base unit. The LED light sounds gimmicky, but is more use than you'd imagine.

My only disappointment with it is that it's not braked, so tends to run on - no problem most of the time, but be careful with light work and small screws.

HTH

Ray.

Yep, I've got one of those - love it. Small, light, light :D and powerful, charges fast too. Much better than the green one.

Hi Scrit,

if you don’t need the GSR 10,8 V-LI immediately you might want to wait for the new model.
Differences:
- 500 rpm instead of 400 rpm
- 1.3 Ah instead of 1.0 Ah batteries
- quick release chuck for ¼” hex shaft
- maybe it even has the brake Ray is missing on his one (but I’m not sure about that)

A pic of the new version can be found here.
According to my tool dealer, it should be released at the beginning of 2007 – at least in Germany/Austria.
In the USA a newer type is already available.

Have a nice day,

Christian

Hi Christian

Thanks for the update, however as a tradesman my needs are, unfortunately very immediate - a new tool will need to be purchased by Tuesday am! So 2007 is a bit far off for me.....

Regards

Scrit

Scrit":6l1m1z4s said:
I fancy a Bosch GSR10.8V-Li Anyone bought the little Bosch and able to comment?

Scrit

I have one Scrit, Ok it is handy for awkward places that bigger things cant go, and the batteries seem to go on and on, stunning for such little things :D But I don't think it will equall the torque of your now deceased machine.

Oh dear! It's beginning to look like I'll be having a Makita moment....

Scrit

May be too aggressive depending on the applications you plan to use it for Scrit, but I picked up a naked Makita 12v impulse driver from ebay some time ago for around £70 new if I recall correctly. I already had some good 12v high amp nimh makita batteries in good order so made sense.

Absolutely love it, drives anything large or small and quite compact. The impact driving is a revelation if you haven't tried it before. Also has a light which I thought a bit gimmicky but actually wouldn't be without it now.

Terrific tool, highly recommended.

Cheers, Paul. :D

Hey scrit, what's wrong with Makita? I have two Makita drill drivers a 7.2volt kitchen fitters one and a 9.6volt and have had the larger one for close on ten years now with the same batteries! I can't fault them myself and they are quite light too compared to some of the De Walt ones. I too have one of the little Bosch IXO li ion drivers and find it great for tight corners, always on charge in my shop. :wink:

Hi

I bought this one, the same as Chisels driver I reckon
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/s ... 270DWPE3ID
MAKITA 6270DWPE3ID 6270DWPE3 12V DRILL/DRIVER & 6980DZ 12V IMPACT DRIVER BODY WITH 3 BATTERIES. I couldn't have been more pleased firstly because I made the right decision for once, but the quality of the kit is amazing, light weight, more than enough power, fast charger so always a battery ready to go. I am not a professional though so your needs may be different, bigger capacity batts for example, I used it for screw fixing a dozen 8x4 sheets of plasterboard no problems. I would also have said the LED light was a gimmick until I used the kit and I have to say it is surprisingly useful, Not so sure about the luminous ring at the front but if you were in a loft and put it down between joists it would be quicker to spot I guess.

Cheers Alan

Hi Scrit,
Sorry about you're recent loss :(

I needed a small drill/driver this year too. I got this one,
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 2&id=21272

I detect you have a bit of an issue with Makita?

If not this is a great piece of kit. Its small, light, but quite powerful. I can handle light drilling and driving modest auger bits without problem. I've had mine around 6 months so far and its had loads of abuse, but it gives no trouble. It Charges in less than an hour and the batteries last plenty long enough even when used constantly so I am never stuck with a flat battery. Its small enough to fit in the bottom of my standard 26" tool box with the charger, although it does come with a decent case if you prefer. It's a good price too.

Lee.

HI Scrit
One more vote for Makita as I got a 14v for Ebay for £120 with postage :) and it was new in the box but it come with a 110 charger.
I am very happy with it and I have an 18v MXT combi.

I would guess that would not be a problem for you :)

chisel":k9lwa81d said:
May be too aggressive depending on the applications you plan to use it for Scrit, but I picked up a naked Makita 12v impulse driver from ebay some time ago....
I've played with impact drivers and I just find them a bit too aggressive for the #5 and #6 screws used in some constructions (like kitchen carcasses) - I'm concerned about shearing screws. I'd hazard a guess that they won't drill holes either (but then neither will the Bosch 10.8 volt Lion drill, either - too slow)

mailee":k9lwa81d said:
Hey Scrit, what's wrong with Makita?
Actually nothing - but it did elicit some interesting responses :lol: . The drill/driver I'm interested in is the 6270DWPE 12volt jobbie as it seems to have a similar weight and balance to the deceased Bosch

Woody Alan":k9lwa81d said:
I bought this one, the same as Chisels driver I reckon
Which is the one I'm on about. Does the drill/driver have a decent brake to overcome run-on? BTW thanks for the link, at that price I might just give it a whirl.

Colin C":k9lwa81d said:
I am very happy with it and I have an 18v MXT combi.

I would guess that would not be a problem for you :)
Oh it would be - 18volters are way too heavy and unwieldy when working inside the back of a cabinet or above your head on a ceiling or high level installation. Or maybe I'm just a wimp, but I found that when I had a DW 18volt combi-driver that the maximum length of usage above shoulder height was around 20 to 30 minutes - the little 9.6volt Bosch I'd happily use for several hours, albeit with several changes of battery. I just used to wish it had a tad more oomph.......... Perhaps I need that third Shreddied Wheat in the morning after all so I can wield a real man's tool :roll:

Scrit

Which is the one I'm on about. Does the drill/driver have a decent brake to overcome run-on?
As near as instant you could get from any speed I would say but I have not compared. I think if you were to buy the two drills with the three batts I would be very surprised if you were dissappointed I drove a 3" 10 without snapping straight in and out all the way with the 6980 into some old "hard" pine couldn't hold the screw it was so hot. The impact only comes in if it meets enough resistance and I think the number of impact reduces the chance of it snapping.

Cheers Alan

Hi Scrit,

I had thought you were contemplating two new cordless tools – a drill and a driver. As a consequence I assumed that you might get along with the drill for a couple of weeks and could buy the additional driver a tad later.

The Makita 6270 mentioned is basically a good tool in my opinion. I had used its 9.6 V equivalent 6260 during a job last summer and liked this unit: enough power for a cabinet maker’s needs, not too heavy, good balance, quite compact.
Nevertheless all tools of this line (6260, 6270, 6280) have one major (IMO, of course) drawback: the chuck. First, the drills are not equipped with an “autolock spindle” as your Bosch had one. The Makita’s chuck itself is ok at holding hex bits but – from my experiences – conventional drill bits are not held very well.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Scrit

I meant for you to look at the impact driver not the 18v :roll: :wink:
I have a 14v makita and use it for #5 and #6's with no cam out but it does take a little getting used to ( not much )

I do use mine for drilling holes but mostly use it for pilot holes for the screw I am putting in but I have used it for bigger one. I use a small set of forstner bits that fit straight in the chuck :)

Ps Bosch do a 9.6v impact driver that is smaller :wink:
( not sure how old you are but I think you have a few years on me 8-[ :wink: )

Scrit

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Thought about getting a new driver but decided to get a new motor. The replacement was obtained for £27.00 and on opening the box the new motor was considerably bigger!
I though it wouldn’t fit, but on my driver there were some black plastic packing pieces holding the motor so I discarded them and new motor fitted no problems. So I basically have a new driver with a few scratches and it seems to have a bit more power with the bigger motor.

Dave

Matt1245":281ym5nx said:
Why not just get another bosch GSR 9.6, then you'll have extra batteries to use with it?

As far as I know, Bosch's current 9.6 V cordless tools use O-pack batteries while Scrit's Bosch runs with flat-shape batteries. So in order to use the batteries Scrit already owns he'd have to get an old or used Bosch cordless drill.

Have a nice day,

Christian

Latest posts

Back