reVitalising a Singer Sewing Machine Treadle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a cast iron Singer treadle base which is in pretty good condition - I've never had the wooden structure to accompany it. Lately I've been considering recycling it to make a sewing machine table for a modern machine. I'd like to retain the 'old style' , drawers down the sides and drop leaf. Does anyone know of any plans / drawings relative to such a project?

Thanks in advance

Mick

Here's a depressing suggestion:

There is an American clothes retailer called All Saints who make a decorative feature in their shops of a display of hundreds of old sewing machines. I don't think they will want to sell you any, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had security guards who would object if you took photos, but it might be an easy way to get close to a big assortment of old machines to see exactly how they were made.

This is one of their London shops:

All-Saints-Spitalfields-Nyc.jpg

and this is another:

Westfield-AllSaints.jpg

They also use traditional workbenches to display clothing! Gives me something to play with when the mrs is lost in there.

Son-in-law (also in the US of A) converted an old sewing machine cabinet to take my daughter's Unimat lathe, so it can be stored out of sight :D . Don't suppose pics of that would help much!

Latest posts

Back