Members can turn off viewing Ads!

reVitalising a Singer Sewing Machine Treadle

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Spindle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have a cast iron Singer treadle base which is in pretty good condition - I've never had the wooden structure to accompany it. Lately I've been considering recycling it to make a sewing machine table for a modern machine. I'd like to retain the 'old style' , drawers down the sides and drop leaf. Does anyone know of any plans / drawings relative to such a project?

Thanks in advance

Mick

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's a depressing suggestion:

There is an American clothes retailer called All Saints who make a decorative feature in their shops of a display of hundreds of old sewing machines. I don't think they will want to sell you any, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had security guards who would object if you took photos, but it might be an easy way to get close to a big assortment of old machines to see exactly how they were made.

This is one of their London shops:

and this is another:

Andy RV

Established Member
Reaction score
They also use traditional workbenches to display clothing! Gives me something to play with when the mrs is lost in there.

dickm

Established Member
Reaction score
Son-in-law (also in the US of A) converted an old sewing machine cabinet to take my daughter's Unimat lathe, so it can be stored out of sight :D . Don't suppose pics of that would help much!

Latest posts