Restoring dark Ercol table to natural wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

Indeed, the table top is solid. The close up photo does not show the same stripe along the edge of the first photo, which had alarm bells ringing!
A Random orbit sander would be your best friend to get the look of the restoration you have posted, if this is the way you want to go.

Mike.

I stripped a vintage Oak refectory table a few years back, the brown stain was so deep in the grain nothing could lift it out.

I stripped and refinished one of these for a customer about 20 years ago, the top was solid.

But the wood had been stained first so and as I was refinishing to the original colour it did not matter, but I think you will struggle to get stain out of the grain and back to a natural elm colour.

I think that the elm was not that good any way being fairly variable in colour as well, I guess Ercol will have kept the better colour tops for the natural tables and stained the ones which did not look as good.

Thank you for all the advice everyone. I don't mind some of the original stain remaining post sanding, or some colour variability. Looks like lidl are selling random orbital sanders this week, so I plan to sand the top with one of those and then paint the legs. I will post pictures when I am done, in case it is of use to anyone else..

Back