Restoring an old typewriter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmyhenson

Established Member
Reaction score
We are getting married soon and we have a vintage theme running through the day.
I bought an old typewriter, it's in pretty good condition but the keys are sticking and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to free them. I was thinking of using dry graphite instead of an oil but I'm not sure and I am open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 689
Haven`t really got a clue how to clean it other than WD40 but congratulations on getting married and hopefully it will last as long as the typewriter has.
all the best
rob

Most old typewriters stick because the lubrication has dried out, and the slots are full of fluff stuck to the gunk. I would have thought gentle cleaning possibly with meths would do the trick, but don't drown it. You would need to remove the rubber roller platain first and check that the finish is unaffected by what you choose as a cleaning agent.

That takes me back I used to clean the office ones many years ago when they started to stick.

I worked in the garage and first off I would take off all the parts that came off easily then using a high pressure air line blow all the rubbish out of them. Then using a light oil such as sold for sewing machines lightly oil the moving parts.

John

Just remember: WD40 was made as an anti-rust solution. It's not a lubricant long term!

I'm with John on this: fine-nozzle hoover and paintbrush, then possibly a little WD40 for the stickiest bits and sewing machine oil. Keep WD40 and oil away from the platen roller (the big one) - there's a risk they will dissolve it. IIRC, you can revive the ribbons a bit with something like 3-in-1 oil dripped on to it (then let the spool stand for a few days in a plastic bag), but it's so long now since I last used mine, I can't remember!

E.

As others have said congratulations on getting married.

As a total aside if you are into the vintage theme have a look at http://www.usbtypewriter.com/ It converts the typewriter into a usb keyboard.

I havn't done this myself but the idea realy apeals.

Regards

James

Back