Restored Saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3nder

Established Member
Reaction score
First attempt at restoring a couple of saws.
On is a Tyzack 120 the other is unknown.

Varinsh removed from handles screws and blades derusted and
polished. Teeth sharpened and set on unknown saw. Waiting for
files to sharpen the Tyzack.

Tyzack before:
Tyzack before.jpg

Tyzack after:
Tyzacafter1024x768.jpg

Tyzack handle:
20170429_142449-1024x768.jpg

Unknown saw cuts really well now. The handle was loose but a bit of innertube between blad amd handle fixed that.

Unknown after:
unknown.jpg

Unknown handle:
handle1.jpg

Only issue is how to finish the handles. Was thinking of blo but unsure if it will cause the wood to develop that urine yello colour over time. Anyone know if this would be the case?

Attachments

• Tyzack before.jpg
    Tyzack before.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Tyzacafter1024x768.jpg
    Tyzacafter1024x768.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 1,123
  • 20170429_142449-1024x768.jpg
    20170429_142449-1024x768.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,123
  • handle1.jpg
    handle1.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 1,123
B3nder":6spkhv3e said:
Only issue is how to finish the handles. Was thinking of blo but unsure if it will cause the wood to develop that urine yello colour over time. Anyone know if this would be the case?
Beech goes distinctly orangey with oil on it, BLO or anything else really, the colour of the oil makes very little headway against the native colour of the wet beech. If you dampen a spot on the wood with water or white spirit it'll give you a very good preview of the colour you'll get if you oil.

If you'd prefer them to be paler, which would be closer to the original look, then varnish or use a light-coloured shellac.

ED65 thats a great tip. I'll wet tue wood to see how it looks. At the moment the feel of wood is really comfortable. How resilient is an oil applied and allowed to dry say 3 times over a week?

Deema, thanks I am pretty pleased for my first attempt at restoring and at sharpening.

On a hard wood like beech you get a very resilient surface and one of the great beauties of an oil finish is it's easily touched up as needed if any damage occurs.

There are masses of tools out there with a linseed oil finish and lots of guys here prefer an oil finish on their tool handles and wooden planes.

Hard to beat as far as ease of application goes: wipe on, wipe away excess, repeat as needed!

I like BLO on my tool handles, smells nice, feels nice and ages well. Would be nice if it dried a little faster but I can live with that.

B3nder":1x6qjqiu said:
First attempt at restoring a couple of saws.
On is a Tyzack 120 the other is unknown.

Varinsh removed from handles screws and blades derusted and
polished. Teeth sharpened and set on unknown saw. Waiting for
files to sharpen the Tyzack.

Tyzack before:

Tyzack after:

Tyzack handle:
View attachment 20170429

Unknown saw cuts really well now. The handle was loose but a bit of innertube between blad amd handle fixed that.

Unknown after:

Unknown handle:

This is an "unknown" I bought for £3. I stripped the handle, took half an hour with an extremely sharp chisel and a sheet of 80grit rolled up to smooth all the uncomfortable bits. Soaked in BLO.
DSCN2189.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN2189.JPG
    DSCN2189.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 737

Latest posts

Back