Resin Noob advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntercold

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey guys im toying with trying to make some resin pieces.

Whats the best but cheapest solution to buy?
And how do you colour it??

Thanks
Jack

Hi Jack

The best is epoxy resin
The cheapest is polyester resin
both completely different in many ways

Colouring is by use of pigments / glitter / coloured thickening agents

Can you be a bit more specific as to what it is you'd like to 'try' making.... bowl, goblet, pen etc...?

To be honest i'd be very surprised if, as a beginner(?), you get any usable results bigger than pen blanks.
And i'll guarantee the biggest problem you'll have is bubbles in the resin.... #-o unless you have a vacuum chamber and pump

But hey.... nothing ventured etc.... (hammer)

Nick

Hey Nick,

Thanks buddy im after making up a small block for a shave brush handle.
I have watched a few videos saying about the bubbles and how awkward they can be. Is there no way round it without a vaccum chamber?

What sort of pigments should I use resin specific stuff or cheaper more viable alternatives?

Thanks for replying

Jack

hmmmm.... :-k

well to be honest..... to save a lot of time, effort and above all money.... i'd be buying a small block of pre-cast resin if its just for a shaving brush handle.

However..... if you do want to give it a go.....

Yes, resin specific pigments (it's been a while, but i'm sure if you tried mixing polyester with an epoxy pigment it wont work.... and vise-versa of course)

Yes.... you can try 'warming' the resin (and if an epoxy system, the hardner component too), i wouldn't go any higher than 35 - 40 c though. The warmed resins will be less viscous and not hang onto the bubbles so easily. But.... it's the tiny little pippers you have to be looking out for.... which is why the vacuum system comes into its own. And bear in mind a 'warmed' resin will cure a darn sight quicker than a cold one.... so you will have far less working time :shock:

You could have a go at making up a Heath-Robinson chamber and try a few samples.... i.e. a bucket with a flat top, a clear plastic 'oversized' lid with a hole in it (read 10" bucket + 12" perspex or similar lid, hole approx 1" dia) and some sort of rubbery gasket between bucket and lid, connect your shop vacuum cleaner to the hole via an optional pipe and switch on. It wont pull a massive vacuum but may just be enough to pull the air bubbles out of a small mixing pot with sample of mixed up resin/hardner in it.... remember, what you're after is a block of resin totally free of even the smallest air pockets.... as pockets = voids = not a good finish achievable without then filling with more resin.... which may have small pockets of air in....... #-o

How do i know...? errrm..... 25+ years working with different resins and different methods of use/application. Most fave is resin infusion......

Nick

Ok Nick,

Thank you buddy, I think I will give it a try with a small amount of resin and see how I get on. I will let you know the results :) if I get no joy I will look into buying a block or two pre made.

Thanks again
Jack

I am also interested in this. I need to do some research first before I ask too many really stupid questions. I do have a vacuum pump and a vac chamber sounds easy enough to come by. Thinking half a propane cylinder with a thick lid and gasket?

BM

Bog.... ask away

Half a propane cylinder is more than adequate :shock: but preferably with a flat bottom (inside) so may need to turn up a loose fitting wooden disc to drop inside.... purely so that any 'pot' of resin you are trying to degas will stay upright and not topple over.

If you can, also fit a vac gauge to the lid so you can see what sort of vacuum your pulling.

If i can (i.e. got time and remember) i'll see if i can mock up a few quick drawings to give you some idea of what a set-up might look like (hammer)

Anyone that does have a go just be aware "you didn't hear it from me..." :wink:

But those that do and get results.... lets see them here =D>

Nick

Thanks Nick,

Still have not done any research so here goes for the first dumb question - you will soon see I have absolutely no idea what I am talking about...and I am sure I am getting ahead of myself. If I want a part wood, part resin item such as a piece of wood with large voids filled with resin, in basic terms how would I go about this? Do I mix up my resin, de-gas and then pour into a 'mould' with the wood in it and de-gas again while it sets?

Adding a gauge to the chamber sounds easy enough, a plumbing bulk head fitting the the metal side with the correct thread adapter. I have done similar for the filter on my vac chuck. I guess a valve to to let the air back in is also a good idea as pulling that lid off......

For the top I see people use thick acrylic and similar. http://www.sheetplastics.co.uk/ do up to 30mm so I would need to match that with my chamber and see what is safe and sane.

Oh, and on the subject of safe and sane, don't go cutting up propane cylinders unless you are really sure about what you are doing and be aware that most cylinders are not owned by you, they are owned by the gas company. I have a supply of LPG cylinders from car conversions in old Range Rovers and the like. They are useful for anything from BBQs, gas forge bodies and it would appear, vacuum chambers :)

BM

Sounds a good idea I was going to knock up a box with some thick acrylic with a view to unscrewing it after its set but I like the idea of using a propane cylinder or something similar :)

Hi Jack look up Brendan Stemp on you tube he has some good videos on resin casting he's a great guy and very approachable

Thanks for the advice guys :) ive now made two batches of 4 pen blanks. The first was what I can only describe as blue..... let it dry band sawed it up and turned it roughly to find it was holier than the Lord himself....... Second try is like a translucent gunmetal. But far less bubbles as I took more care :) will keep on refining the process as best I can :) will post some pics later of the blanks.

Back