Required output for a light for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I've been looking to get an articulated light to help when turning, and was looking at making something from the LED block lights such as these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topautolight-E ... +light+car

The above are designed for mounting on cars, so put out a significant amount of light (often in the order of 2000+ lumens). Speaking with an electronics savvy colleague, he's confirmed my suspicion that they probably won't be dimmable (because of the way the internal electronics work), and I suspect they may be too bright.

Alternatively, I see IKEA have a small unit that comes with a bendable arm: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/ligh ... -00169659/

That though is a claimed 88 lumens (so tiny compared to the car products).

Has anyone used the IKEA lamp and found it to be sufficient?

I have found it difficult getting one of these in the right place and keeping out of the way of making shadows on the turning. I've got a strip light above the lathe and some clip on lights with white halogen bulbs in. When I need more light I use this: http://www.penturners.co.uk/your-tips-and-jigs/16480-pimp-my-tool-rest.html The photo of it turned on has come out oddly in the camera - I don't thnk it could cope with the contrast but it gives great light on the work piece and is low voltage so if there were to be a snag it wouldn't be a disaster. The strip light is quite cheap - about £8 to £10 quid for 5 metres...

If you're interested I could make one up for you - £10 plus postage - this is for the light, connections, power supply, light mounted on a metal strip with magnets to attach it to your toolrest...

I have the ikea one on my bandsaw. It has a very small light circle. Great for illuminating the bandsaw blade, but it wouldnt work on a lathe.
I would buy a 4 ft flourescent strip lamp but you can now get them with LED tubes. Amazing light.

I have a Draper mag base LED light on my Lathe and it works ok but the light quality is dreadful compared to the Halogen lamp on my milling machine. I'm not in a rush to get any more LED lighting.

I use a 150W halogen floodlight above my lathe; outdoor proof so that I don't have to worry about wet shavings or dust affecting it. Less that £4 from toolstation or screwfix including a bulb: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p15898?table=no this is always on if the lathe is.

I also have a couple of positionable lamps that I use if I need to look inside vessels. The handy light from woodart products is then my most used: http://www.woodart-products.co.uk/3_Lights.php

All - many thanks for the replies - lots of useful info to consider!

Stewart - that's a very clever idea with the tool rest light.

I have 2 basic angle poise lamps from Ikea, one at each end of the bed. I've had them for years and they still work well, though I've had to replace a few nuts and bolts which fell out (lock nuts now used). They're not the strongest construction, but they're cheap and have lasted.
Just choose a bulb to suit - I can't remember what I have in mine.
The good thing about angle poises is that you can point them at whatever you want, so if you're casting a shadow on the work simply reposition the lamp, and they have a long enough arm to cover a large area. They have a tube on the end which slots into the plastic foot (which I've screwed to the wall) so if I want to use them anywhere else in the workshop I've made a new foot from a piece of wood with a hole drilled in it which I can clamp where ever I want it.

I have one of those bendy lamps behind the bandsaw - not bright enough or large enough beam for lathe work.

I also have the Woodart LED which is magnetic - fasten to your toolrest or even a hollowing tool for working inside hollow forms.

sploo":72aszies said:
Blister":72aszies said:
I have used one of these for about 5 years
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-cl ... ght-510413
with the magnetic base

Does the job
Thanks. I've seen those before but I can't help feeling it's awfully expensive for what it is (hence I've been looking at alternatives).

Why not buy the magnetic base and put a cheaper lamp on top as the base has 4 screw holes you can attach the lamp to it

Dalboy":15s34y8v said:
sploo":15s34y8v said:
Blister":15s34y8v said:
I have used one of these for about 5 years
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-cl ... ght-510413
with the magnetic base

Does the job
Thanks. I've seen those before but I can't help feeling it's awfully expensive for what it is (hence I've been looking at alternatives).

Why not buy the magnetic base and put a cheaper lamp on top as the base has 4 screw holes you can attach the lamp to it
I have thought of something like that; it's where I was going with the original idea of the car LED lights.

I also use the ikea Tertial on the lathe, one on the Sorby pro edge, one on the drill press. They are superb at the price. I use 60w reflector bulbs in them.

All those to supplement the twin 6ft fluorescents above the late and the other 5 four ft tubes in the workshop.

Phil

Here's my five quid solution - if you have a pose-able dust hood. Buy one of the LED lights that Lidl sells occasionally. (Actually they come in a two-pack for - if memory serves - about a fiver.) They have a handy little fold-out hook and sit on/in my dust hood a treat. Since the dust hood is infinitely pose-able and I don't tend to need a light when I'm using the dust extraction, it works a treat. The light is plenty bright enough to light up the little nooks and crannies of a small hollow-form or box and batteries seem to last forever. Cheap as chips :mrgreen:

LED%20worklight.jpg

selectortone":hq52idbl said:
Here's my five quid solution - if you have a pose-able dust hood. Buy one of the LED lights that Lidl sells occasionally. (Actually they come in a two-pack for - if memory serves - about a fiver.) They have a handy little fold-out hook and sit on/in my dust hood a treat. Since the dust hood is infinitely pose-able and I don't tend to need a light when I'm using the dust extraction, it works a treat. The light is plenty bright enough to light up the little nooks and crannies of a small hollow-form or box and batteries seem to last forever. Cheap as chips :mrgreen:

LED%20worklight.jpg
Love it. That's a great solution. You just need a polished metal dust hood to reflect even more light forward and it'd be perfect :D

Just following up on this - I happened to be (being dragged around) IKEA by the wife recently, and so grabbed one of the little JANSJÖ lights.

I haven't made a magnetic base for it yet, but a quick test of curling it around the locking handle on my tailstock worked well. It stayed in place, and gave me good light for turning. I suspect my old low energy bulbs in the garage are probably getting a bit dim now, but regardless it does seem to put out a decent amount of light - especially considering it's fairly close to the workpiece.

woodpig":2u8hkuiv said:
Gosh T, that looks like something out of war of the worlds! :shock: :lol:
If you saw the quality of my turning it'd likely give you the moody blues :wink:

Back