Replacement Roof for garage cost?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hsmith192

Established Member
Reaction score
has anyone had an asbestos roof professionally changed and if so how much did it cost? I’m trying to budget for a garage roof replacement (6m x 3.5m)

Thanks

No, but in case this helps. To DIY a single car garage flat roof last year:

with brand new firrings all over to fix an incorrect fall
with a 29mm thick deck made of 2 layers of OSB3, glued and screwed
top quality heavy duty rubber, hot air seam welded, bonding primer
spax wirox screws
cascamite and PU glues
new upvc fascias, drip edges, 2 runs of guttering
steinel hot air tools to do the seam welding

Material cost was a bit under £3k as best I can add it up in my head.

A professional job wouldn't normally include new firrings, the extra thick deck or the heavy duty grade rubber so might come in closer to £2k for the materials element.

No, but in case this helps. To DIY a single car garage flat roof last year:

with brand new firrings all over to fix an incorrect fall
with a 29mm thick deck made of 2 layers of OSB3, glued and screwed
top quality heavy duty rubber, hot air seam welded, bonding primer
spax wirox screws
cascamite and PU glues
new upvc fascias, drip edges, 2 runs of guttering
steinel hot air tools to do the seam welding

Material cost was a bit under £3k as best I can add it up in my head.

A professional job wouldn't normally include new firrings, the extra thick deck or the heavy duty grade rubber so might come in closer to £2k for the materials element.
Prob £5k+ for pro job.

We had a roof replaced about 25 years agao but cannot remember what the cost was - it would be irrelevant now.

More recently we had an asbestos chimney flue replaced with a stainless steel one. We agreed to get a third party to professionally remove the asbestos from our property as this wasn't something that the installer wanted to do. It was hard to find somebody interested in doing it but, when we finally did, I think I ended up paying about £500 for the removal (this was just the physical carrying of the bagged flue material to the van and transportation to a suitable centre). The chap who changed the flue said that price was fair - the industry rate being about £2000 per tonne to remove the asbestos!

We use a skip company who drop off a skip and thick plastic. We line the skip with a sheet big enough to load the skip out and then fold the plastic around to envelope the asbestos and tape it up......
A 6 yard full of asbestos slates was about 1800 quid

I replaced my garage roof last year which is a similar size to yours and was considering boarding and covering with EPDM, however not just due to cost but the easier option I used 0.7mm plasticote roofing sheets and really pleased I did, they’ve been excellent and easy to fit.

If you go this route I would highly recommend getting the anti drip coating on them as it’s totally eliminated any condensation which I thought may have happened.

The lenth of mine was 6.2 long x 3.2 metres wide and 3 sheets covered it just nice, and I got the 8 inch flashings for the sides and front and I’m sure it cost me around £700 delivered and have so say I’m really pleased with it.

I think the lifespan of these sheets are 30+ years.
HTH.

I would use profiled steel but not as single skin even with the anti condensation fleece. Installed with 150mm glass wool insulation and an internal liner sheet should work out at under £40/m2, so around £1k all in. Dont use cheap products, use stainless steel fasteners with EPDM washers. You only need around 6 degrees pitch for effective water run off but you do need to dress the profile where it drops into the gutter

has anyone had an asbestos roof professionally changed and if so how much did it cost? I’m trying to budget for a garage roof replacement (6m x 3.5m)

Thanks

single pitch.? Apex..? Brick skin walls or concrete panels..?

Lots of grades of “asbestos sheet” that really isn’t asbestos so best place to start is a test kit which will give you the ability to ask for the correct quotes for removal.

https://www.asbestos-sampling.com/?...Jx-624Cf88-LyUwdPRTc70hzYvAkeqTRoCeusQAvD_BwE

If your ‘asbestos’ roof is corrugated sheeting it may not be asbestos at all. Regardless, if corrugated sheeting your existing supporting structure (if sound) will probably be best suited to replacement with insulated profile metal panels, rather than a timber deck and EPDM. An excellent choice for a garage/workshop if visually appropriate in your context.

Asbestos roofing sheets will only be potentially harmful if cut, broken or drilled so if you can get the metal fixings cut and lift the old sheets of whole and put in suitable bags then you will save a lot of hassle. Asbestos does turn up in many places and pipework gaskets is one that causes problems and let's not forget that at one time all our wired fuses had asbestos in the carriers.

Back