Replacement lathe advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wouldchuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Evenin' all.

Been an age since I was able to do any form of woodwork, nor pick up a turning chisel, but winter is on its way and I hope to have a bit more time.

My workshop is chaos - no room. I've a Record CL4 with electronic variable speed, long bed bars. I rarely use it, and when I do I gain the most pleasure from turning bowls, as opposed to between-centres turning. It takes up masses of room.

I wonder whether there is a lathe of a suitable quality, more suited to bowl turning, that takes up less room. I'd still be keen to keep the variable speed control as I like that flexibility.

Any thoughts on whether my musing have any merit and any suggestions perhaps?

How about getting some steel bar, of the same diameter as the long bars you have now, and making a set of short bars ? thus lobbing a couple of feet off the footprint of your existing lathe, but keeping all it's advantages. Ought to be a cheap option too.

If you don't mind loosing some of the resale potential, you could just cut one of the bars in half to shorten it.

Many years ago Philly did just that with his lathe for just the same reasons of space.

Edit: can't find the picks of the shortened lathe but this is me using it in 2006 before it was shortened.
Dscn4667s.jpg

Found the Thread but unfortunately Phillys images of the shortened version are no longer available.

Latest posts

Back