Replacement blades for Record 405.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vormulac

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if these are available or if the blades are the same as those for any other plane? I have one in decent condition, but with only a couple of blades.

Ta.

V.

Holy Moses!! :tongue9:
You're not kidding about the price!! Right, I'll be praying that the use the same blades as another plane and I can keep my eyes peeled for one of those!!

Thanks for that Paul.

V.

Vormulac":a2mxk8v9 said:
Anyone know if these are available or if the blades are the same as those for any other plane? I have one in decent condition, but with only a couple of blades.

Ta.

V.

IME the cheapest way to get a full set of #405 blades is to buy a #405.

Really.

BugBear :shock:

MrJay":5ui6st0g said:
I've no idea if these would fit a 405, but you might know better.

They look similar to the blades for the Stanley #50 combination plane. This question came up previously and I tried the blades from my #50 in my #405. They will fit but they are shorter than the #405 blades and the adjuster screw won't engage (it's a different fitting anyway). This is not necessarily a problem because the blade depth could be set by sight. One advantage of the #405 and the Stanley 45 is that the blade clamping bolt is such that even thinner blades will fit and be held securely, which increases the options when attempting to find spare blades.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I seem to recall Ray Isles telling me that the Clifton blades are too think to fit the 405, so it might be worth checking before you take out that mortgage :-({|=
Andrew

BB is quite correct, I fear. Ray Iles does a set of fluting cutters for the #405 iirc and I expect Jim Read in the States will do them if asked, but otherwise you can occasionally get them in ones and twos from dealers (but it can soon add up, although you have the advantage of only getting ones you actually want). One option is to make some yourself - a thing I'm always meaning to do, but Tuit where art thou? :(

Cheers, Alf

Just a thought re the above. I have recently returned an Anant Bull nose plane because the sole was not square to the sides. I have a suspicion that these are finished by linishing, rather than surface grinding and will be a square as the fingers of the operator.

To be fair Rutlands were very gracious and helpful and I exchanged it for a Veritas version (plus a hefty cheque) but am delighted with the result.

Well spotted on those ebay listings folks, I'll be keeping my eyes on those I think! Guess I'm just going to have to keep my eyes peeled on the usual channels to see what crops up in terms of spare blades.

Any idea how one would ascertain the date of a 405? I just noticed during my many trawls of ebay that some appear to have one clasp on the box and some have two (as does mine).

As always, thanks to everyone for their contributions here! :)

V.

Ahh, I didnt notice that in the description, I can only apologise for wasting everybody's time :) Just goes to show that one needs to pay attention, particularly when trawling through ebay.
Mike

I think Pauls on the right track....

you can switch most of the blades around....the 50's blades are a bit too thin to be clamped I've noticed sometimes in some other planes....all you need do there is shim it.....I just cut up an old feeler as a shim.

Paul Chapman":tuit4mbr said:
But I bet they will fit. I'll take some photo's in a minute to test my theory :D

Paul

A closer look reveals that the adjuster notch is (indeed) on the same side for the #405 and #050, so they may fit.

So ignore my previous confident naysaying.

BugBear

Thanks Jake :wink: Here's proof.

The first picture is of my Record 405 with a normal beading cutter fitted

ead755a7.jpg

The next one is of my Stanley #50 combination plane (1970 vintage) with a normal beading cutter fitted (this has a lever for blade adjustment rather than a screw)

ead7556b.jpg

The next one shows the two blades, Stanley #50 on the left and Record #405 on the right. You will see that the Stanley is much shorter.

ead75545.jpg

The next one shows the Stanley blade fitted in the Record #405. It fits perfectly OK except that it is too short for the screw adjuster to engage. That doesn't matter because you can easily adjust the blade without the screw adjuster

ead7558c.jpg

My advice would be if you can find some combination plane blades cheap and in good condition (not rusty and pitted) buy them because they will fit.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Back