Replace the seals of my double glazings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto

Reaction score
Hello,

I have just noticed that the bedroom window and the french doors in the kitchen leading to the garden are drafty. This is because the seals around them, after a number of years, gave in and they let the air go through now.
Is it possible to replace the seals? Is it something that a non-experienced DIYer can do?
While I am at it, I would like to replace both, the seal around the window and the one around the frame.

You can find some pictures here (yes, the frames need a good cleaning too :)

Many thanks
Alberto

IMG_1208.JPG
IMG_1206.JPG
IMG_1204.JPG

TBH they are usually housed in grooves machined into the frame. You migh be able to extract them but if they were fitted before the window was finally assembled then you'll have difficulty.

Cut them off and replace with those sticky foam seals ?

I have just replaced mine on back door it’s easy look for replacement seals on flea bay there is a company that has sample pack for £1.99 first to make sure you are getting the right one they err push fit very easy to do look up on u tube made a massive difference in our kitchen
Good luck

They do compress overtime so replacing them should make a difference. They're easy to replace a simple push fit, try not to stretch them as you go or it will shrink back and leave a gap. You may need a dab of silicone to secure the ends. Ironmongery direct have a good selection of seals or any of the above ones

A can of silicone lubricant will make the new ones a lot easier to fit without stretching. I'll second Dibs' recommendation of Reddiseals

I replaced (still replacing on some windows) the seals on my aluminium windows. They fit in a T slot and are pretty tight to fit and I don't think it was going to be possible so I came up with a solution and made a small jig to hold a stanley knife blade to shave off just less than 1mm of the plastic on the new seal. This has made it soo much easier for me to push in the new seal, working along with a blunt screwdriver. You obviously don't want to take too much off that the seal can come loose but enough that you can push the seal in and have it secure.

Cut a bit out, go to the Schlegel website and find the correct one.

I would say that the seal in the bottom photo has been replaced before with the wrong one.

They will be hard to get out, you might need to make a "tool" to get the first bit out.
You need to make sure the front part doesn't tear off the backing part that is stuck in the groove.
I have had luck with a spiral balance winder handle ( just because I had one handy) it will need to be a very thin hook a, bent 1.6mm panel pin and a pair of pliers might do it.
Once the first bit is out then its not too bad.

When you re-fit them a small roller is ideal, they sell them for the purpose. Called a seal fitting tool or gasket roller.

Ollie

Last edited:
Thanks, everybody. I will cut out a bit and find the correct one. I have something to do over th weekend :)

The will either come out quite easily or they will be near impossible. Generally, if you can slide them along slightly in the track then there is a good chance that you will be able to replace them. If you cannot, it's probably not worth any further effort.

If you can get them out then there are literally hundreds of different profiles of seal. There are a number of commonly used ones but it's easy to get it wrong. Generally though, you first need to match the section that fits in the channel. If you get that wrong you either wont be able to get the seal back into the channel or, if you do, it will fall out again. Yes, you can use sealant, but really it's a bit of a last resort. The visible section of the profile is less of an issue as the memory foam will compress. That said, the closer the match the better as it will give best insulation and be easiest to shut.

From page 22 onwards, you will see the profiles of Q-Lon available:

https://www.tyman-international.com...rral&utm_campaign=redirect-schlegelgiesse.com
Try to match what you take out with the shapes on the pages which follow.

Then start searching to try to find something close. You may find that you need to compromise as many sites offering DIY solutions only carry a few profiles. I used to buy the stuff in 500 metre lengths but that will be overkill for a few windows. Quite often, you can find something suitable on eBay. Here's an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401019850266

Back