Repairing rotten windows with Epoxy fillers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a window to repair for a customer, normally I chop all the rotten bits out and replace with new timber but thinking of trying some of the epoxy type fillers that everyone seems to use these days.

https://www.reddiseals.com/product/timb ... escription

Anybody got any experience of this or similar products?

Had all the good weather all year to do it but kept putting it off as really busy and hate patching windows but need to get on with it now!

Thanks in advance, Doug

I can't agree that "everyone" uses this material , certain so called conservation officers are of the opinion that replacement joinery is never needed and everything can be repaired. Filling rot holes with chemical filler is just a bodge not a viable repair. If you hate patching windows why not offer a replacement item. It must be cheaper in the long term.

Yeah, it doesn't seem right somehow.
Perhaps as a way to deal with the problem until you have time to resolve it properly.

Dryflex is the best product. I have a black and Decker router body with a small round router bit I free hand all the rot off. Then treat with water based preserver. The filler is quite rubbery.and the repairs are guaranteed to last. Use wood to pack out the repair so you use less resin but there should be at least 4 or 5 mm of resin all around it.

Had two windows very high up where both the sills had turned to sponge. customer bought very exspensive stuff from brewers hoping just a quick fix, I said I would only do it if j did it properly,

so hacked the front of the sill with a multitool and battery saw, and replaced with hardwood, was a tidy job once painted windows looked and felt like new.

Adidat

Back